3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Rauzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Removal

Hi! I just bought a 2006 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab. The stock stereo is ok, but it needs to go. My problem is I cant figure out how to get at it. There seems to be 2 bezels, one directly around the radio (silver/black color) and then the big grey one that goes around the climate control/vents/pockets etc. Anyone have any experience with the 06? I found posts about this, but the pics posted do not match mine, looks like they changed them in 2006. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 02-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Klute
Professional
Default RE: Stereo Removal

Hmmm...

I replaced the head unit in my 02 QC and it was not a big ordeal.

I ordered everything from Crutchfield and it came with complete instructions for the QC (head unit and speaker replacement).

I would recommend looking there before you buy. It is normally a good deal as many items are included with crutchfield rather than nickel and diming you at best buy or circuit city for that additional parts. And the detailed instructions are free.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Rauzer

I usually do go thru them. I'm most likely going to order speakers, subs, and the dvd headrest kit from them. I already have the head unit I want and a 6 disk cd/mp3 changer, but I'm not ready to order the rest of the stuff yet. I want to get into the radio because I want to tap my radar detector off the radio power, and since Dodge decided to locate the entire fuse box in the engine compartment, I cant tap a fuse easily. I could run it out there, but I dont want to screw with that box being in the engin bay, water issues.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:46 PM
JoeKramer
Rookie

Yeah the '06 is different. I tried to get my '06 dash off and failed!

I have determened that the dash is in fact one piece. Mine is a fake wood look with a gray plastic around the temp controls. That is all one piece. Didn't look like it but the bottom edge of the wood grain part moves with the gray plastic.

I have no answers on how to get at that radio!!!

Old 02-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Rauzer

Yup, mine is the black/silver where yours has the woodgrain. I found a downloadable 06 service manual on here that show the whole piece does come off. The manual says to use a "Trim Stick C-4755 or equivalent". I called my local dealer and they had no clue as to what that was. From the drawing in the SM, there looks to be about 11-12 clips that hold the thing on, a bit overkill I think. I might get some time this weekend to try again. I'll post in here if I have any luck.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Rauzer

Finally got it off this morning. There are 2 screws above the cupholder (under the center bezel). With those out, applied some steady pressure and pulled the bexel off a little at a time.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:03 AM
JoeKramer
Rookie

Yeah I pulled them screwes off but it didn't seem to want to come out. I started to mar up the plastic so I gave up. LOL

Got any pictures of the bezels back side?

Old 02-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Rauzer

ORIGINAL: JoeKramer

Yeah I pulled them screwes off but it didn't seem to want to come out. I started to mar up the plastic so I gave up. LOL

Got any pictures of the bezels back side?
Didnt take any pictures. If you get those screws out, put a flathead screwdriver between the glovebox and bottom corner of the bezel and slowly pry out. Theres a clip on each bottom corner, top corners, each side of the radio and a couple others. Theres a link on here somewhere to the 06 Ram Service Manual. Try searching on that and download it. It's a 9200+ page Adobe Document, but it's got everything, drawings included.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
06thunderroad

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY 06 THUNDER ROAD ,CANT ANYTHING TO COME OFF THE DASH,,,WERE CAN I FIND THAT MANUAL??????????????

Old 01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
06thunderroad

?

Quick Reply: Stereo Removal