DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Are Rear End Problems an Issue (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/49805-are-rear-end-problems-an-issue.html)

Palm 02-23-2006 01:57 AM

Are Rear End Problems an Issue

I have done a search on the forum and notice that a few people have had problems with the LSD on their Rams. What I would like to know, is this a big issue for the 1500's with the LSD differential?

Perhaps we could get everyone that has had any rear end problems with the 3rd generation Ram to post them in this thread. I have had a problem with mine that was apparently caused by a dealer putting the wrong type lubricant in it after fixing a pinion seal that was slightly leaking. After the repair and about 4000 miles later, the rear end started making a loud humming noise. Back to the dealer, replaced the ring and pinion gears along with the bearings. Later, about 400 miles, pulling trailer, rear end burns up. Another dealer in distant city replaced the whole rear end, axles and all costing Dodge well over $1,200.00.

I only have just a couple of hundred miles on it since then so I don't know if my troubles are over or not. Last dealer that replaced the rear end said that the previous dealer might have put it back up too tight, but it was so burned up that it was hard to tell. Friend of mine that also own a 03, 1500 claims a dealer recently told him that Dodge has had a lot of problems with these rear ends, says he repairs them constantly.

What does everyone think?

2002ramon24s 02-23-2006 02:15 AM

RE: Are Rear End Problems an Issue

haha u dont wanna ask me this question. right now i have spent almost 800 in parts just to fix the ****ing rear end of my 02 it had a 3.55 open so its not only lsds i have a post on here with pics if ya do some lookin u will see what will happen. i found a way to keep this from happening again. i got a alburn posi unit and yukon gears. this has to be better the cheap ass dodge parts they put in these

AIR RAM 02-23-2006 02:55 AM

The cluth pack retaining clip gave way on my LSD causing it to take out the entire rear end. It was covered under waranty and it has NOT happend since... but what happend to my rear end IS a VERY common issue that Dodge know about and will only replace them as they brake under waranty... If it brakes out side of your waranty then your SOL and will get stuck with the bill... This is one reason why Im a bit upset with them... they should be doing a re-call and they SHOULD fix all the rear ends no matter if its under warranty or not... It is a known condition. If you do a search you will find all sorts of pictures of these retaining clips ... I posted pics on Dodge_TRUCKS.ORG DODGE_TRUCK_WORLD & and DODGE_TALK... all of these sites will have PLENTY on this issue.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Valkyrie 02-23-2006 03:17 AM

Had my rear end replaced last month under 7/70 warranty. Clips on trac lock came loose. 3.92 LSD. 40,000 miles on truck.

gonzoe 02-23-2006 03:24 AM

MY CLIPS ON THE LSD WENT OUT AT 33,000 COVERED BY THE 36/3YEAR

motorhead426 02-23-2006 02:56 PM

Damn, some of you guys have me concerned, or confused. I bought my truck last June after racking up over 60,000 miles in Ram's in the past 2 years at the proving grounds, and have never seem a regular 1500 Ram have axle issues, and we beat the crap out of them. The only dodge axles that come to mind for issue out at the grounds, is when the current durango was in development, and saw the spider gears welded together from someone break torquing the crap out of it. The other was on a few SRT-10's (regular cab, 6 speed) when they were doing power shifting tests. But the SRT-10 uses a Dana 60, not a 9.25. My truck has a Trac-Lok with 14,000 miles. I guess I'll be changing the fluid regularly (15,000 mile interval) and rebuilding it this summer when I go with bigger gears. The other thing that has me confused is that this is not a new axle by any means, nor is the Trac-Lok. I wonder how hard it would be to swap in a Dana 60 from a 2500 Ram, and have the from hubs changed to 8 lug?

Drew 02-23-2006 04:17 PM

I thought the SRT-10 rear axels were AAM 11.5's

atleast thats what Ive got with the LSD and no problems. got the AAM 9.25 up front and so far I'm a lucky one with no ball joint problems unlike what the dakota's had. and with all the problems I'm hearing about this there should be a recall on that before anything else. this doesnt involve the 1500's except the mega cabs since they have the solid front axel.

2002ramon24s 02-23-2006 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is mine 41,800 miles still sitting in the shop waiting on parts

Attachment 125814

motorhead426 02-24-2006 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Drew

I thought the SRT-10 rear axels were AAM 11.5's

atleast thats what Ive got with the LSD and no problems. got the AAM 9.25 up front and so far I'm a lucky one with no ball joint problems unlike what the dakota's had. and with all the problems I'm hearing about this there should be a recall on that before anything else. this doesnt involve the 1500's except the mega cabs since they have the solid front axel.

SRT-10's have Dana 60's, and the Dakota's have ball joint issues because they have a crapped IFS up front. I have only noticed the 97-04 dakotas (Or what ever years the previous model was) The dak's have a completely different setup. Coil overs! No more Torsion bars, but anyway... If you search for gears on a SRT-10 you should find them under Dana 60's. The HD Ram axles definitely good hardware. I'm waiting to see one grenade from some one putting some massive power down from the cummins. That might be a mess, lol.

AIR RAM 02-24-2006 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

Damn, some of you guys have me concerned, or confused. I bought my truck last June after racking up over 60,000 miles in Ram's in the past 2 years at the proving grounds, and have never seem a regular 1500 Ram have axle issues, and we beat the crap out of them. The only dodge axles that come to mind for issue out at the grounds, is when the current durango was in development, and saw the spider gears welded together from someone break torquing the crap out of it. The other was on a few SRT-10's (regular cab, 6 speed) when they were doing power shifting tests. But the SRT-10 uses a Dana 60, not a 9.25. My truck has a Trac-Lok with 14,000 miles. I guess I'll be changing the fluid regularly (15,000 mile interval) and rebuilding it this summer when I go with bigger gears. The other thing that has me confused is that this is not a new axle by any means, nor is the Trac-Lok. I wonder how hard it would be to swap in a Dana 60 from a 2500 Ram, and have the from hubs changed to 8 lug?
You know is it possible you never noticed? The reason I ask is I have heard of several RAM owners who did not know the carrier gave up until they went to change there gear lube... and only after they remove the cover to find the Clutch Pack retaining clip do they learn there is a problem. They have said they did not hear ANYTHING and did not suspect anything to be wrong... but there is several "CHUNKS" of the clip on the magnet. But the one thing that does happen is your LSD does turn into a ONE WHEEL WONDER.... but if you’re not running it hard enough to spin that one wheel you may never know your LSD has taken a dump on you.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Drew 02-24-2006 01:30 PM

Chad, I'm keeping my eye open for when a Cummins grenades an AAM 11.5. I'm amazed at what they can handle, over 600hp and 1000 lb-ft torque to the rear wheels. oh, and the torque usualy peaks around 1500rpm;)

Boater 02-25-2006 02:37 AM

I believe the replacement is a different model axle than the original axle, so you should not have any more problems. Im paranoid about this too I have read alot of posts about this. I definately intend to complain about rearend noise before my warranty is up, so they will have to inspect it. I honestly thought I heard some the other day. Im only at 4100 miles!

RICKJAMES 12-13-2006 08:26 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now. Pinion Bearing went out after hearing a humming noise. I have 90,000 miles on it with the extended warranty at 100,000 mine is luckily covered still. Then they called me this afternoon when I was supposed to pick it up and they said that when they were in the rear end the Spider Gears were chopped up too....they needed to be replaced. I asked if this was a common occurance and he said I'm the first case he has ever heard of this happening. Hmmm...obviously not! My $.02

gordo24fan 12-13-2006 10:03 PM

For less than $620 you can get the Auburn installed (part and labor). I did it to avoid peg leg, but was really convinced when I heard of the problems dodge rearends have.

jb291 12-13-2006 11:07 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and this thread caught my eye. I have a 2004 1500 Hemi Sport. at about 4000 miles it developed a loud hum that comes from the rear of the truck and lasts for a couple of seconds after I first start to accelerate from a stop. It sounds like a brake is hanging up. The sound is not constant and happens offen but not consistently. It has been to the dealer 5 times but the dealer states that they checked the truck and there is nothing wrong with it. The truck has about 25000 miles on it now and the sound almost always happens after I brake and accelerate from a dead stop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

gordo24fan 12-14-2006 03:15 AM

If you know what makes it happen, insist on them riding with you. If they hear it in front of you they can't give you some song and dance BS about how nothing is wrong. I did that with my GTO and got the dealer to fix it. They claimed they didn't hear a thing and I knew what conditions made noise happen. They ended up replacing my whole rearend. Good luck.

rob[GL] 12-14-2006 03:30 PM

I noticed the other day, I drove around a corner, a sharp corner... Gave it some gas, and only 1 wheel broke loose... I have the 3.92 LSD in my 2005 HEMI... Just for ****s and giggles, I pulled over into a side-street with lots of snow, and both tires spun on the ice... So I don't know whether to be worried or not.

Critter7r 12-14-2006 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

I noticed the other day, I drove around a corner, a sharp corner... Gave it some gas, and only 1 wheel broke loose... I have the 3.92 LSD in my 2005 HEMI... Just for ****s and giggles, I pulled over into a side-street with lots of snow, and both tires spun on the ice... So I don't know whether to be worried or not.

If a non-LSD diff has an equal amount of low resistance (such as on ice) both wheels may spin. A non-LSD diff sends power to the easiest wheel to turn, but if both tires are on ice, they might both turn very easily. Try it on dry pavement to get a more difinitive answer.

Critter7r 12-14-2006 07:33 PM

P.S. Nobody has bothered to mention whether they have had their axle fluids flushed every 15,000 miles like it's recommended in the maintenance schedule. Honestly now.... how many of you have had your diff blow up or fall apart after having kept to the maintenance schedule?? Because I'll tell you what, here at the dealer, for every 25 Rams that come in with 15k or more on it, maybe 1 gets the axle fluids changed. Not that nobody does those things themselves or has them done domeplace else, but I know a lot of people skip out on it because they think 15k is too often. I bet it wouldn't seem like it was too often if it would keep your 45K truck axle from blowing up!!

helopilot 12-14-2006 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Critter7r

P.S. Nobody has bothered to mention whether they have had their axle fluids flushed every 15,000 miles like it's recommended in the maintenance schedule. Honestly now.... how many of you have had your diff blow up or fall apart after having kept to the maintenance schedule?? Because I'll tell you what, here at the dealer, for every 25 Rams that come in with 15k or more on it, maybe 1 gets the axle fluids changed. Not that nobody does those things themselves or has them done domeplace else, but I know a lot of people skip out on it because they think 15k is too often. I bet it wouldn't seem like it was too often if it would keep your 45K truck axle from blowing up!!

So by changing fluids I will prevent a clip that was designed incorrectly from falling out???? That's kinda funny...somehow I am pretty sure that if a clip is going to fall out it can happen at 1 mile or at 100,000 miles and no amount of fluid changes are going to prevent that.

ImAti0n 12-14-2006 11:09 PM

I have an 02 ram and the flange and pinon bearing are going bad. Pretty much need to replace the whole rear end or get new gears. One or the other.

regulator1 04-29-2007 01:55 AM

If I need to change my diffy fluid every 15,000....Dodge can keep their junk! My god, your service bill would equal your payment every month.

regulator1 04-29-2007 02:05 AM

My 02 ram( 65,000)has been making a strange noise for 20k and hasn't gotten any worse. When I turn sharp to the right after backing left out of the drive way it makes a "whirr whirr whirr" sound or "groans". One day after a 50 mile trip I made a sharp turn in the road to thr right and it made a very loud "playing card in the bicycle spokes" kind of sound. I stopped immediately to find the problem. Nothing visibly wrong, so continued on and heard nothing. The truck is going in before ther ol' 7 year 70k runs out but for some reason I have a felling that the service shop will "dodge" the bill and I will "ram" it!

Max00racer 04-29-2007 04:44 AM

Put a hole in my diff case at 45,000 miles backing out of my friends driveway. Replaced under 7/70 warranty (I paid $100) and they replaced the entire rear end. no more than 1000 miles after the new one and its humming already. pos.

pacblueram 10-19-2007 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: regulator1

My 02 ram( 65,000)has been making a strange noise for 20k and hasn't gotten any worse. When I turn sharp to the right after backing left out of the drive way it makes a "whirr whirr whirr" sound or "groans". One day after a 50 mile trip I made a sharp turn in the road to thr right and it made a very loud "playing card in the bicycle spokes" kind of sound. I stopped immediately to find the problem. Nothing visibly wrong, so continued on and heard nothing. The truck is going in before ther ol' 7 year 70k runs out but for some reason I have a felling that the service shop will "dodge" the bill and I will "ram" it!
Your screwed! Mine did the same, but the dealer told me it was just the truck getting older...20k miles later, my wife and I are sliding into a ditch at 55 mph while the rear exploded and locked the wheels up....spewing fluid all over the place. And, the dealer AND the factory said "neglect" How do you neclect a rear? They said it was because I did not change the fluid in it every 12k.....which I did....Every spring when I would have ALL the fluids changed....

If we get enough people to get on here and say they've had this problem, maybe we can get dodge to fork out new rears for us that had this unfortunate experience after the warranty?

raymondsnyder 02-19-2012 08:44 PM

I have a 06 ram slt just spent $2000.00 to have rear end rebuilt after i heard a tapping noise. Center pin bolt broke and chiped spider gears and ring and pinion bearings are also shot. if you hear any noise get it checked out quick. Doe anybody know if there is a recall on this problem?

Captdad03 08-03-2012 03:01 PM

I too need advice. The pumpkin on my '03 QC 1500 heats up when I tow my camper(7500lbs). I can't afford a diesel for the next several years, but I could make a swap if I knew what to upgrade with??? 2500, 10.5 of the same year??? Someone said use a 4.10 gear. Someone else said that the 4.10 will get even hotter. I don't want to quit camping for the next 4 years. Any advise would help.

willdikem66 08-03-2012 03:31 PM

I split mine in two. Brand new one here in texas 850.

Captdad03 08-06-2012 11:06 AM

Do you tow with your truck or just like to drive it hard? I just need a fix that is stronger. I wonder what the Auburn LSD is made out of? Did you go back with stock parts or aftermarket?

ewing111 08-06-2012 12:26 PM

I know hammer put an auburn in his, i think if you want to replace it aftermarket is the way to go, not stock.

willdikem66 08-06-2012 01:10 PM

i do not know if your question was directed at me but i did tow a lillte bit for a short time last summer and that shot the transmisson, but every other day is a normal drive. i started to notice a shudder and groan when i was backing up but at no other times. I got serval quotes from 1500 to 2000 just to rebuild back to stock, i waited and found a place with a great rep over 60 years of service and a number of buddys racing toys including his own. And 800 bucks later they stuck a whole new rear end in. he let me have the piece that was broke off inside the rear end and said it was the same one that breaks off every other dodge. id post the pic on here but idk how...

Captdad03 08-06-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by willdikem66 (Post 2840150)
i do not know if your question was directed at me but i did tow a lillte bit for a short time last summer and that shot the transmisson, but every other day is a normal drive. i started to notice a shudder and groan when i was backing up but at no other times. I got serval quotes from 1500 to 2000 just to rebuild back to stock, i waited and found a place with a great rep over 60 years of service and a number of buddys racing toys including his own. And 800 bucks later they stuck a whole new rear end in. he let me have the piece that was broke off inside the rear end and said it was the same one that breaks off every other dodge. id post the pic on here but idk how...

Thanks willdikem66, I tow something every week from a 1500lb utility trailer to a 26' camper. I'm hoping someone with similar towing patterns and a lot more mechanical knowledge than myself will reply with help. I've been using a mechanic with about 30 years of experience, but he (like most other professionals) only wants to repair and not upgrade. Thanks again for your help

willdikem66 08-06-2012 05:47 PM

Anytime Captdad03, and thats most mechanics with any experince!