3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are Rear End Problems an Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Palm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Rear End Problems an Issue

I have done a search on the forum and notice that a few people have had problems with the LSD on their Rams. What I would like to know, is this a big issue for the 1500's with the LSD differential?

Perhaps we could get everyone that has had any rear end problems with the 3rd generation Ram to post them in this thread. I have had a problem with mine that was apparently caused by a dealer putting the wrong type lubricant in it after fixing a pinion seal that was slightly leaking. After the repair and about 4000 miles later, the rear end started making a loud humming noise. Back to the dealer, replaced the ring and pinion gears along with the bearings. Later, about 400 miles, pulling trailer, rear end burns up. Another dealer in distant city replaced the whole rear end, axles and all costing Dodge well over $1,200.00.

I only have just a couple of hundred miles on it since then so I don't know if my troubles are over or not. Last dealer that replaced the rear end said that the previous dealer might have put it back up too tight, but it was so burned up that it was hard to tell. Friend of mine that also own a 03, 1500 claims a dealer recently told him that Dodge has had a lot of problems with these rear ends, says he repairs them constantly.

What does everyone think?

Old 02-23-2006, 02:15 AM
2002ramon24s
Professional
Default RE: Are Rear End Problems an Issue

haha u dont wanna ask me this question. right now i have spent almost 800 in parts just to fix the ****ing rear end of my 02 it had a 3.55 open so its not only lsds i have a post on here with pics if ya do some lookin u will see what will happen. i found a way to keep this from happening again. i got a alburn posi unit and yukon gears. this has to be better the cheap *** dodge parts they put in these

Old 02-23-2006, 02:55 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cluth pack retaining clip gave way on my LSD causing it to take out the entire rear end. It was covered under waranty and it has NOT happend since... but what happend to my rear end IS a VERY common issue that Dodge know about and will only replace them as they brake under waranty... If it brakes out side of your waranty then your SOL and will get stuck with the bill... This is one reason why Im a bit upset with them... they should be doing a re-call and they SHOULD fix all the rear ends no matter if its under warranty or not... It is a known condition. If you do a search you will find all sorts of pictures of these retaining clips ... I posted pics on Dodge_TRUCKS.ORG DODGE_TRUCK_WORLD & and DODGE_TALK... all of these sites will have PLENTY on this issue.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Valkyrie

Had my rear end replaced last month under 7/70 warranty. Clips on trac lock came loose. 3.92 LSD. 40,000 miles on truck.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:24 AM
gonzoe

MY CLIPS ON THE LSD WENT OUT AT 33,000 COVERED BY THE 36/3YEAR

Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Damn, some of you guys have me concerned, or confused. I bought my truck last June after racking up over 60,000 miles in Ram's in the past 2 years at the proving grounds, and have never seem a regular 1500 Ram have axle issues, and we beat the crap out of them. The only dodge axles that come to mind for issue out at the grounds, is when the current durango was in development, and saw the spider gears welded together from someone break torquing the crap out of it. The other was on a few SRT-10's (regular cab, 6 speed) when they were doing power shifting tests. But the SRT-10 uses a Dana 60, not a 9.25. My truck has a Trac-Lok with 14,000 miles. I guess I'll be changing the fluid regularly (15,000 mile interval) and rebuilding it this summer when I go with bigger gears. The other thing that has me confused is that this is not a new axle by any means, nor is the Trac-Lok. I wonder how hard it would be to swap in a Dana 60 from a 2500 Ram, and have the from hubs changed to 8 lug?

Old 02-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the SRT-10 rear axels were AAM 11.5's

atleast thats what Ive got with the LSD and no problems. got the AAM 9.25 up front and so far I'm a lucky one with no ball joint problems unlike what the dakota's had. and with all the problems I'm hearing about this there should be a recall on that before anything else. this doesnt involve the 1500's except the mega cabs since they have the solid front axel.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:40 PM
2002ramon24s
Professional

here is mine 41,800 miles still sitting in the shop waiting on parts

Name:  000_1359.jpg
Views: 8892
Size:  110.1 KB

Old 02-24-2006, 10:54 AM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: Drew

I thought the SRT-10 rear axels were AAM 11.5's

atleast thats what Ive got with the LSD and no problems. got the AAM 9.25 up front and so far I'm a lucky one with no ball joint problems unlike what the dakota's had. and with all the problems I'm hearing about this there should be a recall on that before anything else. this doesnt involve the 1500's except the mega cabs since they have the solid front axel.

SRT-10's have Dana 60's, and the Dakota's have ball joint issues because they have a crapped IFS up front. I have only noticed the 97-04 dakotas (Or what ever years the previous model was) The dak's have a completely different setup. Coil overs! No more Torsion bars, but anyway... If you search for gears on a SRT-10 you should find them under Dana 60's. The HD Ram axles definitely good hardware. I'm waiting to see one grenade from some one putting some massive power down from the cummins. That might be a mess, lol.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:08 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

Damn, some of you guys have me concerned, or confused. I bought my truck last June after racking up over 60,000 miles in Ram's in the past 2 years at the proving grounds, and have never seem a regular 1500 Ram have axle issues, and we beat the crap out of them. The only dodge axles that come to mind for issue out at the grounds, is when the current durango was in development, and saw the spider gears welded together from someone break torquing the crap out of it. The other was on a few SRT-10's (regular cab, 6 speed) when they were doing power shifting tests. But the SRT-10 uses a Dana 60, not a 9.25. My truck has a Trac-Lok with 14,000 miles. I guess I'll be changing the fluid regularly (15,000 mile interval) and rebuilding it this summer when I go with bigger gears. The other thing that has me confused is that this is not a new axle by any means, nor is the Trac-Lok. I wonder how hard it would be to swap in a Dana 60 from a 2500 Ram, and have the from hubs changed to 8 lug?
You know is it possible you never noticed? The reason I ask is I have heard of several RAM owners who did not know the carrier gave up until they went to change there gear lube... and only after they remove the cover to find the Clutch Pack retaining clip do they learn there is a problem. They have said they did not hear ANYTHING and did not suspect anything to be wrong... but there is several "CHUNKS" of the clip on the magnet. But the one thing that does happen is your LSD does turn into a ONE WHEEL WONDER.... but if you’re not running it hard enough to spin that one wheel you may never know your LSD has taken a dump on you.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: Are Rear End Problems an Issue