3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Passing inspection with aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
nemachuck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing inspection with aftermarket exhaust?

Anyone have any trouble with passing their state inspection with aftermarket exhaust? I know here in MA that they are trying to pass some new laws that might ban aftermarket exhausts. Current I know there is a decibel level that your exhaust cannot exceed but its very vauge. Last thing I want when I go for inspection that they tell me its too loud. [:@]

Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 PM
TACMann
Default RE: Passing inspection with aftermarket exhaust?

So far I've never had anyone fail me for an inspection with aftermarket exhaust.

For those of you in Texas:

Exhaust System: Reject/Accept
Inspection/Rejection Criteria

20.14 Exhaust Emission System. The owner or operator of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine beginning with the model year 1968 equipped with an exhaust emission system shall maintain the exhaust emission system in good operable condition and shall use it at all times that the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated. The owner or oper-

ator of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine shall not remove or intentionally make inoperable within the state of Texas the exhaust emission system or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the exhaust emission system or part thereof is to install another exhaust emission system or part thereof, which is intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions from the vehicle or engine.

The exhaust emission system was installed by manufacturers of motor vehicles beginning with model year 1968. The inspection of the exhaust emission system will apply only to those vehicles that are equipped with such a system. The following exhaust emission systems will be inspected if installed as original equipment by the manufacturer: thermostatic air cleaner, exhaust gas recirculation system, positive crankcase ventilation system, air injection system, evaporative emission system, and/or catalytic converter.

If installed as original equipment by the manufacturer, the catalytic converter will be considered a part of the exhaust emission system on all 1984 and later model vehicles. It will be inspected as a part of the exhaust system on prior to 1984 model vehicles.

NOTE: The inspection of the exhaust emission system shall not apply to motor vehicles altered and modified to use only a fuel other than gasoline.

NOTE: Vehicles using liquefied petroleum gas as fuel or a combination of liquefied petroleum gas and any other fuel must bear a liquefied gas tax decal on the windshield lower right-hand corner showing this vehicle uses liquefied petroleum gas, before a safety inspection certificate can be issued.

NOTE: A motor vehicle that uses liquefied petroleum gas that is operated by a public school district or county in this state is not required to have a liquefied gas tax decal or special use liquefied gas tax decal.

1. Inspection Procedure. Examine visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. The exhaust emission system has been removed.

b. The exhaust emission system has been disconnected.

c. The plumbing or hoses are loose, broken, leaking, or improperly routed.

d. Air pump (air injection-type) belt is loose, removed, excessively cracked, frayed or has pieces missing.

e. The exhaust emission system has been altered in any manner to make it ineffective.

f. The catalytic converter has been removed, leaking, or disconnected on a 1984 or later model vehicle.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In GA, if it's a gasser and as long as the kitty it there and working then your good. what they will catch is when the car is not running right.

there are no inspections for Diesels so Ive got the idea of running straight piped off the turbo and running that behind the front tire[8D] j/k but that would be the loudest truck on the road

Old 03-03-2006, 04:10 PM
dieselram
Captain

You should be ok as long as you have your cat. I Maine, its kinda vauge because they say no aftermarket exhaust at all, but my fathers vette and my friends v-6 camaro pass everytime with borla mufflers. Thankfully I live in FL now, I haven't had a cat in my garage since 2003.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
luvthehemi

10-4 Diesel, Florida is the way to go for performance autos. I'll deal with the heat and humidity. No cats in my garage either, even natural blondes.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:33 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

As long as the cats are in place, you'll be good to go. The muffler and resonator or lack thereof do not effect emissions. Also, I can't remember who did the report in CA, but they took many cars that were ticketed for loud exhaust and only 1 person failed out of the bunch. I really don't think that they should be able to ticket unless they have a dB meter in hand and perform the test as written in the statutes.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:29 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

CA cops have bigger crimes to solve than the decibel level of an exhaust system. I can see them being picky in smaller towns where tickets are important for revenue. But out here, I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for a loud truck. I am sure it happens, but not as common as most people think.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:45 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sandiegohemi

CA cops have bigger crimes to solve than the decibel level of an exhaust system. I can see them being picky in smaller towns where tickets are important for revenue. But out here, I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for a loud truck. I am sure it happens, but not as common as most people think.
It was in a performance car mag that I read the article in. It was a year or two ago, so I don't remember who did it.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Hunt_The_Dragon2000

i live in colorado were we actually have to do emission test, i have the gibson extreme exhaust and tubular header manifold also made by gibson. i have no problems. as long as u dont mess with the cat converter u should be fine.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 PM
bekim
Professional

In CA aftermarket exhaust systems have to be C.A.R.B. approved. California Air Resources Board. They check exhaust systems before they are marketed to see if the factory smog devices are incorporated into the new stuff. Then they issue a CARB number that the smog people have to except as complying.
For Diesels however, there are no smog checks at all, YET!
Mike

Quick Reply: Passing inspection with aftermarket exhaust?