3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New HEMI vs Old 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:06 AM
schawks73
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HEMI vs Old 4.7

i got a 2005 QC 4.7L in october, drove it off the lot with 14 miles on her, i love it, it drives real nice, its nice looking, and it has a big interior compared to my '95 jeep i had. But i feel like i dont have enough power as i want, i see a slight difference then my v6 jeep i had but nothing to amazing. I have never actually ridden in a HEMI but ive heard theres a hell of a difference. I actually had my mom go with me because i didnt have enough credit to purchase one myself, and when there was a hemi and 4.7L side by side, i picked the hemi but...as you know i got the 4.7L (she is very persuasive)

Heres my question, im looking for a very specific truck, 2004-2005 Flame Red HEMI QC with under 10K mi with the SLT package, i talked to the dealer where i bought mine and he said that it would only be a $30-$40/mo difference between the 4.7L and the 5.7L. the problem is, they only have white and silver and i want something that will stand out, and red is the only color that will do that for me (except the daytona but thats outa my price range). SO... i was thinking, is it worth it to upgrade to the HEMI even though ive only have this one for 6mo and has only 5K miles on it even though its lost its "driven off the lot" value? if im able to find one in the Central Florida area?

Thanks for your imput in advance
-David

Old 03-07-2006, 01:32 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran
Default RE: New HEMI vs Old 4.7

Yes, I love my Hemi. I have driven a 4.7 before I bought my 5.7 and I was more impressed with the hemi. Silver stands out great, all you have to do is put on some nice chrome and black accents and the heads will turn.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 AM
HemiMan4451
Champion

My dad, before he bought his Hemi, tested out a 4.7. He said the motor was weak compared to the Hemi.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:34 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The question is will it be worth it to trade your 6 month old 4.7L Ram for a 5.7L Ram... Please be specific to what "WORTH IT" means to you. You will get screwed on your trade and will most likely be upside down on your payment for years to come... You will have lost ANY money you have already put into your current 4.7L RAM... normally you need to keep your vehicle 3-4 years before you trade to keep from going upside down on the loan.

If "WORTH IT" means going for the additional power the 5.7L has over the 4.7L.... In your situation I would say NO it would not be because you will lose SOO MUCH MONEY... Please understand the 5.7L would have been "WORTH IT" the first time around... but since you chose the 4.7L and have had it for only 6 months you will lose more money than its worth on a trade so soon....

I sugest you suck it up and just keep your 4.7L untill you have paid enough on it so you dont LOSE on a trade...

GOOD LUCK on your decision.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 03-07-2006, 07:06 AM
stykthyn
Professional

this seems to be a common thread. most people get the 4.7 b/c of availability or money issues. I have a 4.7 and love it, if I had had the oppportunity to purchase the hemi I probably would have, but I got a sweet deal on the truck I have now and dont regret the 4.7 in the least. If what you are looking for in a truck is more power you should always look around before you buy. Next time stick to your guns, shop smart, and be patient. The car/truck of your dreams will be out there waiting for you.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:55 AM
schawks73
Professional

Thanks all, judging by your replys i made a decision to keep her. Im a junior in college right now and i still got 3 more years (senior, CPA, Masters) then ill be out "in the real world" lookin for a job...boo[sm=alcoholic.gif]. Now i figured that by that time, with my trade in/down payment/over payments i should have it payed off. SO i would have 2 choices, i can drive around a payed off 3yr old truck, or i will have a very nice trade in (which again is PAYED OFF) to get another truck/car if i wanted. So like Air Ram and stykthyn said, im just gonna suck it up, make the best of it, stick some modes in it for the time being (or say F**k it and mode it like AIR RAM and some other and just blow the doors off the hemi with the lil ol' 4.7L YEAH!![sm=goodidea.gif]), and go wait it out until i graduate (University of Central Florida [Orlando])

Thanks again for all your input!
-David

PS- i obviously used the term "blow the doors off the hemi" loosley, last i heard he was able to keep up with a stock (or lightly moded) QC Hemi so you HEMI guys dont jump on my back about that

Old 03-08-2006, 02:07 AM
mattready

i just "UPGRADED" from a 00 dakota quad with 4.7 to my n-used 03 ram reg cab 5.9

i am not sure about difference in weight (i think the dak was heavier?) but my ram has SOOOOOOO much more power. higher up in the RPM's i didn't notice much in terms of "seat-o-pants" test..pretty similar....but the really noticible difference is day to day driving and pulling my atv trailer at lower rpms. the torque on the low end is the shiznit.

gas mileage is different too. i got about 16.5 in my dak.....i am getting 13 in the ram. more motor=more gas WHO COULD GUESS?!?!

it all boils down to what you want to do with your truck. i like to pull a atv trailer over steep mountian passes so i went with the hemi. if i was just getting a daily driver, the 4.7 is a nice compromise in gas and power.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:20 AM
schawks73
Professional

Daily Driver is basically what i have it for, no towing (may look into getting a hitch soon since they only $100), no off roading, just going to work (looking for a job as a bouncer while i finish out school[sm=chairshot.gif] [red = me owning a trouble maker]) and going to school which is about a 15-20min one way drive.

Thanks again for the input
-David

Quick Reply: New HEMI vs Old 4.7