3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LPG.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:13 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPG.

Well........it's now 1200 miles of............ as yet...................trouble free motoring, with my new LPG system powered Hemi.
I don't want to tempt fate but.........................it's so cool to not have to worry over the costs of fuel.
I'm now laughing when I see other petrol users looking at me in the filling station with the "I wonder how much it costs that flash bas*ard to fill up" look on their faces. HA HA HA HA[sm=happybounce.gif]
I'm doing a service and pulling the spark plugs soon, so I'll check the colour of them and see what's happening inside my engine.
I'm not throwing any codes and can't here any detonation/pinging etc, so eveything is OK.
I average about 16.5 mpg (LPG has a lower calorific value therefore less bang for your buck) on the motorways here, at about 65/70mph. It still works out at about $3 a UK gallon, but it beats the $7 and getting up to $8 I have been paying here.[:@]
I'm getting the LPG CPU read next week (damn abbreviations) to see if a few parameters need to be changed etc.
I do know, that there is precious little polution produced when I run on LPG and to be honest, it does make me think I'm doing my bit for the planet.
Because it isn't obvious it's a multi/duel fuel vehicle, I'm waiting for my first negative "your not saving the planet" comments and I'll take GREAT delight, in educating said person/s ha ha ha
I'll keep you posted on my adventures in .............ALTERNATIVE POWERED HEMI [sm=gears.gif] ha ha ha
Al.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Default RE: LPG.

Any chance you could Dyno it to see the difference in horsepower compared to regular fuel??

Old 03-07-2006, 05:57 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

Any chance you could Dyno it to see the difference in horsepower compared to regular fuel??
Dyno's are hard to find and cost a LOT of momey over here and to be honest, it isn't that important to me.
The amount of power the Hemi produces, makes any losses for my kind of driving style running on LPG not worth the costs.
It will be measurable on the dyno, but day to day, it only makes a difference in my pocket.
All this makes me sound cheap but....................you have to live in the UK to appreciate how much EVERYTHING tends to cost.
I certainly can't feel any if indeed much loss between LPG and petrol.
Al.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:04 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Hey, I'm not knocking you!

Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
ukhemi

Did you have this done local to you and what sort of figure. I have approached someone down here in Cornwall and they are not sure on how long and what to charge which is a bit of a worry. I am doing about 750 miles a month so it should pay for itself quite quickly.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:47 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

Hey, I'm not knocking you!

Hi Rob................Sorry if you think I'm having a go at you. I think we got our wires crossed here.
I'm not knocking you or anything bud. and I certainly don't feel as though your having a pop at me either.
I would certainly dyno the Hemi for you if I had a local and cheap one no problem.
Sorry if you got the impression I was having a go.
Take care bud.
Al.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:51 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: ukhemi

Did you have this done local to you and what sort of figure. I have approached someone down here in Cornwall and they are not sure on how long and what to charge which is a bit of a worry. I am doing about 750 miles a month so it should pay for itself quite quickly.
Yes, I had the work locally done. It costs quite a lot, but the rewards are also great.
At the moment I'm not looking back, but I'm possibly concerned over the long term issues for the engine.
Things such as valve burnout etc. Although I have been assured by two companies, one of which is Prinz themselves who make my LPG system, that they have no known issues with the Hemi engine on this.
I guess time will tell and I might be a little worried about nothing?
Here's hoping so................

Old 03-08-2006, 08:09 AM
ukhemi

I have been speaking to someone running a Merc on LPG since new and 60000 miles in the engine is as good as new so hopefully that would be the same for the Hemi. So if your tanks are where the spare wheel should be, where have you put this?.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
abarmby
Champion

It's stored in my garage.
If you have seen the size of those things, I wouldn't be changing one of those on a busy road.
I'll just call recovery and let them tow me in.
Either that, or when I go on a long run, I throw it in the back of the bed.
Good news about the Merc.
I believe when you burn LPG, you get a more complete burn with a lot less polutants. Got to be good for your engine I would think. None of the excessive carbons you find when burning dyno' fuel?
I'll research this a bit more to see if there's any techy info on it.
I'll say again how impressed I am with the quality of components and the instal etc from Prinz seem to be.
1200 miles plus without a hicup............................touch wood he he he.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:13 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I got a nail in my tire a while ago... I refused to use the spare tire... HAha. I just got one of those cans of "Seal your own tire" crap... You just put it on the valve and squirt it all inside, and then it stops the tire from leaking...

Quick Reply: LPG.