3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

universal joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:34 AM
matsram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default universal joints

hey guys need some help i own a 2003 ram quad cab and just got to 40000 miles two weeks ago and noticed a faint vibration from the back, yesterday i did the oil change on her and decided to look for that vibration i was thinking its just mud in my wheels or something dumb like that because we do alot of off roading, to my surprize i found rear universal joint to be badly damaged because of a lack of grease. this is my first dodge truck so im not sure if this kind of thing is usual? I opted to change both while it was out and use beefer version with a zerk fitting so i could service it and try to make it last longer than the o.e.m. stuff. thanks for any info

Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: universal joints

the u-joints going out is nothing new. that is what happens when you have sealed fittings. sometimes there is not enough grease put into the caps from the factory.

the best thing to do is to install some with the zerk fittings. they last alot longer.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
matsram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: universal joints

thanks drew it just seemed very unsettling at 40000 miles and have joint problems. ive always had a gm truck but i liked the styling of the new dodge ram but worried cause i never had this type of a problem with my other trucks

Quick Reply: universal joints