3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OT: gps units & geocaching

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:10 AM
mattready
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: gps units & geocaching

i am in the market for a gps unit....i want a small "palm pilot" style unit. i want to stay around $150 for my first unit. anyone have any recs? i have been eyeing this one......

Magellan eXplorist 200 Waterproof WAAS-Enabled GPS Receiver

14 channels; rugged, waterproof construction with illuminated LCD monitor (160 x 120 resolution) and built-in antenna

WAAS-enabled for accuracy within 3 meters; supports EGNOS

8MB built-in background map; TrueFix technology

Stores up to 5 tracklog files, 2,000 tracklog points, 500 waypoints and 20 routes

Additional functions include bearing, distance, elevation, heading, estimated time of arrival, estimated time en route and time/date

Grids options include Finnish, French, German, Irish, MGRS, OSGB, Swedish, Swiss, USNG, UTM, latitude/longitude and user

Multilingual options include Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish

Rugged, waterproof design

[IMG]local://upfiles/27379/7FD1F84DEB6B449DBA65C71D0ACFA931.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27379/9A9A7CB25A194A6EBD7DF32728CAD66F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OT: gps units & geocaching

If you go online you can typically find very good deals on the Garmin eTrex Legend series, which I have used and find them to be very good. Geocaching is a good way to get some exercise and have a little fun on the way. I forget the website, but there is an official geocaching web site that has almost all the locations of the spots. You can also update it, sign logbooks, tell the original person that it is missing, etc. Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OT: gps units & geocaching

I am using a Magellan Meridian Gold for the last 2 years. It is upgradable and uses sd memory cards. It is their flagship and when I hook it up to my PC I can make detailed Topo maps.
I have the TOPO maps in it and it is pretty impressive. I am a hardcore Bowhunter and Flyfisherman and also use it on my boat.
I made a bracket for my new Ram so it the left of the radio and plugs in to the power outlet right next to it. It looks OEM factory.
When I want to take it out of the Ram and into the woods, all I have to do is unplug it and pull it out of its holder.
GPS can do ALOT of cool things like tell you your exact speed so you can see if your speedo is accurate.
Check Ebay for GPS discounts. Try to find one that you can upgrade the maps because roads change often.

Quick Reply: OT: gps units & geocaching