3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Emer Brake and ABS light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:05 AM
ruwithus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emer Brake and ABS light on dash

I'm new so excuse me if I am in the wrong place. I have a 2004 Doge Ram 1500 4 door. I was stopped at a light when I noticed the speedometer kept jumping up and down, then the Emergency Brake and ABS lights on the dash came on. I shut the truck of and started it again, the lights went off only until I was stopped at a light again. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem, or a possible solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM
srenken
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Emer Brake and ABS light on dash

When the ABS light comes on, a fault is active. You need to hook up a diagnostic tool, and read what faults are present. If your speedometer is jumping, then I would look at your ABS controller. It is located on the driver's side rear of the battery tray. There will be a red locking tab on the connector, push this to the unlock position, and push down on the tab just behind the red locking tab and pull out. This connector is sealed, so as you try to remove it, you will create a vacuum, which makes it seem hard to pull out. Once you get it out, look for water in this connector. If no water is present, then you really need to read the codes to troubleshoot any further. If you have water, then dry it out, and put some clear sealer on the ground screw attached to the fender just above the ABS controller. Assuming this is your problem, you will still need to clear the faults. Some faults clear after a set number of key cycles without sensing the condition that set the fault to begin with. I am not sure if this will clear on its own.

Quick Reply: Emer Brake and ABS light on dash