3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Hemi runs better with mid-grade

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 06 Hemi runs better with mid-grade

I've been using 87oct for the past 20K miles... No problems at all. I tried 89 and 91 as well, didn't seem to make a lick of difference to me.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 PM
DatNeggaDodge
Rookie

Well I've got 100k mile warranty, if my truck shuts down because I use 87, Dodge dealership is going to fix it. Then I will never own another Dodge vehicle for the rest of my life.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a crap about horsepower. I mean, yea...it's nice to have, but it's not like I'm trying to burn out, or go 120mph. I use super (93 octane) for one reason only. I get alot better gas mileage when using it. This is not some mental thing. This is fact......figured out with the mileage driven, and the amount of gallons used. It is not figured using the overhead computer. With regular (87 octane), I was getting approx 7-8mpg in the city. With super, it jumped up to 10-12mpg. For another 20 cents per gallon, and getting about 25% more mpg, it's definately worth it to me.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:22 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

Hey nos4,

I was wondering what exactly was the effect of using 87 ... what did that grade kill on your truck ?

Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran

Because i used 87, i clogged my fuel rail and burned out all 8 spark plugs. The had to remove the whole fuel rail and flush it out and also replace all 8 plugs. Then they ended up performing a tune-up and draining my gas tank, to refill it with mid-grade. The draining of the tank and filling with 89 were all free. I dunno, i did get the truck used so the previous owner may have filled it full of regular the whole time he owned it...so after say 2 and a half years at most, thats the damage it did so it will screw it over before your bumper to bumper warranty expires. I would say, use 89, filling it up on 87 doesnt make that much of a differance financially. Just use 89, it'll be worth it when ur truck lasts further down the road, but its not my choice what you do with your truck. Just my .02.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:38 PM
1BAD06QC

When using regular, the truck seems to chug or hesitate. With mid-grade, power delivery is even and smooth.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:00 PM
nsyncfanatic03
Professional

if you have to put regular in your tank of the ram the best thign to do would buy octane booster and pour it in the tank.. youll get better gass milege and your truck will love you cause it will up the octane that was alread in your tank and what you be addin.. plus if you keep addin regular your engine will knock and ping.. it happend to my dad cause my mom took the truck one day and she put regular in it.. the engine was knocking and pingin upa storm.. dont think you like tht drivin down the road

Old 04-08-2006, 08:12 PM
vinman966
Professional

ORIGINAL: nos4fuel

Because i used 87, i clogged my fuel rail and burned out all 8 spark plugs. The had to remove the whole fuel rail and flush it out and also replace all 8 plugs. Then they ended up performing a tune-up and draining my gas tank, to refill it with mid-grade. The draining of the tank and filling with 89 were all free. I dunno, i did get the truck used so the previous owner may have filled it full of regular the whole time he owned it...so after say 2 and a half years at most, thats the damage it did so it will screw it over before your bumper to bumper warranty expires. I would say, use 89, filling it up on 87 doesnt make that much of a differance financially. Just use 89, it'll be worth it when ur truck lasts further down the road, but its not my choice what you do with your truck. Just my .02.
Just a quick question...where did you buy your last tank before the engine got all gunked up?
I ask because I had something similar happen and was told that the gas supplier I used at the time has a huge history of gunking up engines. I won't say which company it was yet but I'm interested in seeing if it was the same.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Cliff
Rookie

I have been hearing alot of this. Since we tow with ours, we fill up with premium. But I do recomend using what the dealer manual says. After all, they made it.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:12 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran

i'm a little late on the reply but i was mostly putting in Valero and Shell, very good quality gasoline so it wasnt that. its just that Houston runs 95+ degree days so that post by Mystro about regular was proved true. I have never used regular since then.

Quick Reply: 06 Hemi runs better with mid-grade