3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Amber Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:28 AM
lemonram04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Amber Check Engine Light

[b]i had a 2004 dodge 1500 sport with the HEMi,,, the truck had alot of power,, to bad it was in the shop more than i was able to drive it. I live in Clovis NM and i purchased my RAM from BENDER!!! Boy was that a huge mistake. I had my tuck in the shop 17 times and i only owned the truck for 18 months[/b]
the only problem with the new mexico lemon law is it has to be in there 4 times for the same problem within the first year of owning the vehicle. the last 4 times it was in the shop was for the rear end. after they had the truck for 2 1/2 weeks, then 1 1/2 weeks, then another 2 weeks and couldnt correct the problem i couldnt deal with it anymore and traded it in. I had problems with the CRUISE CONTROL twice, once for brake switch the second fort he wiring harnes, WINDOW MOTOR, AIRCONDITIONER compressor went out , it took them two times to verify this problem, BAD FUEL INJECTOR, RATTLING NOISE IN THE DASH, ( 4 TIMES), FRONT END VIBRATION i had it in there 3 times for this and they finally changed the ( RACK AND PINION)< they had to replace the stereo TWICE,,, then they tried to tell me that i wouldnt play burned CD's, (REALLY) well the second one they put in worked just fine,,, also the FUEL GAUGE QUIT WORKING (bad sending unit) ,,and last but not least the rear end. DO NOT BUY DODGE, they did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help me out!!!!!!! NEITHER DID the BENDER DEALERSHIP!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:20 AM
jgbour

Ouch! Sounds like you got worked over good.

I brought my truck to a mechanic to have a look. He said I have a blown head gasket, and possibly some problems with the head, maybe more. He said it was more than he could tackle. He also said, and I agree, a truck with 75,000 miles should not have these kind of problems and that there may be a recall for this. I am taking the truck to the dealership Monday, hopefully there is a recall because it's a 2002 w/o extended warranty. Does anyone know about a recall or where I can look and see what all recalls there are for the 4.7L / Ram?

Old 05-14-2006, 04:02 AM
dfellers

Check the link at the top of the page. below "Dodge Forum" and to the left of "Models"

link is called Recalls & TSB's

Old 05-14-2006, 05:54 AM
jgbour

Thanks dfellers,

I've looked there, nothing about the problems I'm having though. I recieved many more recall notices via snail mail than what is listed in the Recalls & TSB's. I was hoping to find a link that would show ALL recalls, I certainly haven't received one for engine problems yet.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:53 AM
abarmby
Champion

Whats happening with your truck now jgbour?
Has the fault gone?
Are you still battling with the stealership?

Al.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:29 AM
jgbour

Al,
I took your advice and had our mechanic check it. He said it was a blown head gasket, and possibly alot more. More than he was willing to bite off, recommended I take it to a "stealership" and hopefully there will be a recall that will save me alot of money. Depending on how much they will cover, if any, I might be looking for a long block 4.7L if there is such an animal. I'm getting that knotted gut feeling about it already, but will have to wait untill Monday to see what the Dodge Dealer has to say. I still don't understand why I didn't get radiator fluid in the engine oil if the head gasket was blown (oil level never rose or appeared contaminated), but it does explain the condensation in the oil fill spout.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:02 AM
abarmby
Champion

Oh man I feel for you bud.
I had a lot of strife with a car I bought a while back. Dropped 16 and then after a so called "repair" dropped another 15 valves after the cam belt snapped twice.
Did you say your coolant level was dropping?
If so, you could have a small/tiny crack in the head, passing just enough coolant to cause you the overheating problem, but not enough to fill your oil pan. It would boil off with the heat, hence no water contamination in your oil.
Hopefully, it's a lot simpler than that and you don't have to shell out cos' it's under warranty.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you mate.
Post the results when you find out whats gone on.
Very best of luck to you.
Al.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:57 PM
striper21

i went looking for a dodge owners site as i too just blew my head gasket on my 2002/ dodge 1500 4.7L motor with 77,000 miles. my warranty just expired at 70,000 miles. this is the first time anything major has ever gone wrong with the truck. boy am i not happy. a freind of our family is good friends with a mechanic at a local dodge dealer, and he advised me to not repair the head gasket. it was suggested i change the motor as more and more of the 2002' 4.7L motors are developing major problems as they get up in miles. i've gotten estimates from $1,300 to $2,000 to change the head gaskets, which i cant see spending after hearing the comment from the dodge dealer mechanic.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
striper21

heres a few motor prices i was quoted:

#1) jasper motor long block- $4,807.00 plus labor estimated at $550.00 which i find hard to believe. $ 5,357.00 plus tax. 3 year 75,000 mile warranty

#2) jasper motor long block $ 6,200 for everything. 3 year 75,000 mile warranty

#3) unknown motor long block $3,395 plus labor which is not known yet, waiting on follow up call. 3 year warranty, unlimited milage.

#4) dodge dealer - long block $4,260 for motor, $1,300 labor, $300 msc parts --$5,860 total job. 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty,

Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 PM
striper21

heres a few head gasket repair quotes i got: one guy told me the book calls for 14 hours labor for this job. anyone agree or disagree?

#1) dealer- the service manager won't give an estimate until i pay to bring truck in for it to be looked at first. he said he would have to charge me to look at motor to give me a estimate to do head gasket job, as there may be more damage done than i think...said he dont want to give me a price, then take apart motor, find more damage and have to call me with bad news.

#2) $2,000 same company that quoted me $3,395 for motor job.

#3) $1,300 guy tried selling me "Thermal Weld" originaly.

#4) $1,700 a freind of a freind.

#5) won't touch this motor with a 10 foot pole-not worth his trouble he said. ..mechanic who has mechanic freind who works at dodge dealer.

#6) $ 1,500 my moms mechanic.

Quick Reply: Amber Check Engine Light