3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Sunroofs Do They Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 AM
rkersh409
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Sunroofs Do They Leak?

I am going to sign the papers on my new 2006 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L. I must confess that I was set on getting the new Ford F-150 until I drove the Dodge. Changed my mind quick! But the truck I am looking at, that has all the options I want has a power sunroof. All the horror stories say they leak and will always leak. Is this true? Any one have an older model with the sunroof that might can shed some light no the subject will be more then appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Power Sunroofs Do They Leak?

I've never had a problem with any sunroof in any make that I've had or is owned within the family. This includes Ford, Mercury, Lexus, Mazda, Chrysler, and VW. They are a lot better than 10-15 years ago. There is always a potential for leaks, but I'd rather take the chance than not have one, personally speaking.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

I've never had a problem with any sunroof in any make that I've had or is owned within the family. This includes Ford, Mercury, Lexus, Mazda, Chrysler, and VW. They are a lot better than 10-15 years ago. There is always a potential for leaks, but I'd rather take the chance than not have one, personally speaking.

What he said is absolutely correct. I've owned two vehicles that have had power sunroof's, and almost bought a third. Like with anything you buy, its all a matter of how you take care of it. The potential is there, but thats like saying there's the potential for a flat tire.

I'd personally prefer a sunroof, and the only reason I dont have a vehicle with one is because I got a much better deal on one without it. Good luck in your purchase!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:37 AM
nsyncfanatic03
Professional

take care of it and it wont cause problems for you.. i have a car witha power sun roof and love it!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:42 AM
rkersh409
Amateur

Thanks guys for the info. This will be the first vehicle with a sunroof. Everyone keeps saying to take care of it. What kinda maintenance do they require?

Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: rkersh409

Thanks guys for the info. This will be the first vehicle with a sunroof. Everyone keeps saying to take care of it. What kinda maintenance do they require?
Pretty simple really. Just every so often, like 3 months or so, just check the seal around it and then open it up and look to make sure everything is in working order and properly lubed. If you notice some sticking or if you see that the seal is potentially damaged, have it looked at. If you are buying a new vehicle, it will be under warranty for a while, but you can ask the service desk people to explain maintenance on it as well.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Keep the seal free of debris. Wipe it down with a rag that has a silicone spray on it to keep it nice and supple. Make sure the drain lines are clear. This is the most ocmmon complaint. There are drain lines and when they get full of debris, they clog and the water backs up and eventually into the vehicle. Keep them clear by keeping making sure that leaves and debris aren't allowed to get under the glass where the roof and the seal meet up. They get crushed by the seal and the sheet metal meet. The fine particulate matter can clog up the lines.

Also, make sure the rollers and moving parts stay clean and lubed.

Takes a few seconds every month. If you notice the seal is torn, get it replaced. The oldest sunroof in my family is on a 98 explorer and it is still leak free with very little maintenance. It is always out in the sun/rain/heat and hasn't failed.

Quick Reply: Power Sunroofs Do They Leak?