3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Future Ram Powertrains

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Limedust
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Ram Powertrains

DCX has recently unveiled a new dual-mode hybrid system (designed in conjunction with BMW and GM), which will be initially available in the 2008 Dodge Durango with the 5.7L Hemi. The “hooks” for the system will be evident in the refreshed 2007 model.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/...hybrid-system/

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/durango.html

The entire system is fully integrated into a new transmission, and the system does not place any major restrictions on engine size or power (in stark contrast to any hybrid system available today), which makes it easy to bolt on to just about any engine. The transmission appears to be a combination of CVT and fixed gear ratios.

So here’s the question: If the gas savings were real (say around 25%), would you buy one if it were put in the Ram (as I’m sure will eventually come to pass)? MDS is intended for cruising at highways speeds, yet hybrids are traditionally geared towards city driving… Or does all of this sound like a bunch of hogwash?

Old 05-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Future Ram Powertrains

No, I wouldnt buy one in my next truck for this reason : I doubt it will hold up to heavy wear and tear a truck has to put up with and maintence cost would be another issue. In my mind a truck should be able to last 20 years of use with regular care. The more electronics you put into a vehical the quicker it will become outdated. Anything too hi tech becomes cheap and disposable in a short amount of time.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 AM
arrowman
Professional

CVT in a truck that was meant for actually doing a truck's work is a BAD IDEA.
CVT in a light passenger car, like the Calibre, is fine... But it's basically just a centrifugal (sp?) clutch like in the amusement park go-carts. Would you want the only linkage between your HEMI or Cummins and the tranny to be a fan belt?

The "bigger" news is the move toward offering a true E85-ready engine (4.7 only) in the trucks with the 07 model year... and a diesel-electric option in 08...

Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional

A diesel HEMI so I can have the world's first HEMI grease truck.

Quick Reply: Future Ram Powertrains