3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:47 PM
jeffjs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

2. How do they get all the air out of a tire during a "swap"? Does the tire completely collapse on itself as the extract the "regular air" and fill back up with "pure" nitrogen? I don't think so. There is still "regular air" in the tire as they fill up with "pure nitrogen"
That's my favorite line in this whole thread. I never thought of how they do it.

So instead of 75% nitrogen enriched air, you could get maybe 95% tops?

Old 11-27-2006, 04:12 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

This could be the most foolish thing I have ever heard.

My first question is how does a gas temperature stay constant? Completely impossible. No matter what gas you have it will be similar to the ambient air through conduction.

Have you ever seen a tire and rim weathered from being open to the air? Not on a daily driver, maybed on one that has been sittting a few years.

Even if you have your tire filled with some stupid inert gas you still have just as much of the tire open to the ambient air temperature, sun and whatever else. Depending on your elevation Nitrogen is around 70% of the air you breath.

Remember the first rule of marketing. Creat a need for your customers.

This is just stupid.

Heck, I am sorry I didn't think of selling this idea in my area first. This kind of stuff reminds me of the crap they sell on TV late at night. I just carry a pressure gauge and I have a compressor at home. I check the tires about once a month in mine and my wife's car. I'll stick with good old air for now.

Here is a good idea, lets go into business selling N02 for tires! If N02 boosts engine output, It must do wonders for you truck/car's tires. All we need is that Aussie dude to make us a sales pitch! LOL.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Jetpig
Professional

We use nitrogen in plane tires because of extreme low temps at high altitude. As for car tires, I check mine weekly anyway. Air works fine for me too.
How bout helium? Hum, how much does a quad cab weigh?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:12 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Here is my $0.02 on this subject. On my wife’s car when we bought new tires they used nitrogen to inflate all tires at no extra cost. We had one bad vale stem that we had replaces at a different tire store who did not use nitrogen to re-inflate the tire and we now have to add air to the one with out nitrogen every month. Yet the other 3 tires have not had to have any air added to them in over 9 months. So IMHO it is worth it to have nitrogen in your tires and may add it to my truck tires as it only cost $2.00 per tire.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 PM
BgBluRam
Captain

Seems like a waste to me.. Yes they use it in extreme conditions like already stated many times, and for rightful extreme purposes... As for people who drive their vehicles every day, you will not see a noticable difference IMO. And as above stated, if you have to put air in one of your tires every month, you have another problem, it's not the magical nitrogen that is keeping your other 3 tires inflated.

This point has not been touched yet from what I read, so here goes my rant. For a typical every day driver in this country, you will end up getting a new set of tires on average every 1-2 years or 40-60k miles. This is not enough time for a tire of todays standards to see any negative effects from regular air in the tires, thus not seeing any positive effects from nitrogen in the tires or rims. I feel this is a sales pitch, plain and simple... But of course, do what you feel is right.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 PM
06POWERWAGON

Well said, osteodoc08. I was going to get into the PVT curves, but I didn't think too many would follow it.

Here is another fun thought:
Fill a tire with normal air that is 78% nitrogen and 22% other gas.
If Nitrogen molecules truely are really larger than the "other molecules" in normal air(I'm still not convinced of this), then the "other molecules" will escape first, leaving only nitrogen inside the tire.
When a low tire is refilled with more normal air, 78% of that is nitrogen, so now the percentage of nitrogen is almost 95%. The older, and the more times you add air to a tire, the higher the percentage of nitrogen...for free!

Even crazier idea regarding the larger molecule claim:
You can possibly over inflate your tires with normal air, forcing the other gas out leaving 100% large nitrogen. You could expedite the process if you could fit the tire in your freezer!

Who wants to patent the "Nitorgen Purification Procedure" I have just described?
I think Yo Mamma's Tire Shop could charge an extra $1 per tire!
We could start a new "Green Air Recycling Standard" that all auto makers would have to adhere to!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Jetpig

We use nitrogen in plane tires because of extreme low temps at high altitude. As for car tires, I check mine weekly anyway. Air works fine for me too.
How bout helium? Hum, how much does a quad cab weigh?
Low temps at high altitude? Is it because the Nitrogen is dry/free of water vapor, or the physical properties of the gas?

Old 12-03-2006, 10:44 PM
MudSeasonVT

ok. I wasn't going to, but now i can't help myself.

Nitrogen is a gas that does not Expand nor contract in Modern temps. ( The temps that a Human can live) it is one of the Most stable Non-flamable gass's that we have.

Do I have Nitrogen in My Tires? No-Way. (But i am Cheap) Is there any advantages? sure. just as stated before, we change our tires to often to make a diference in Tire composite breakdown.

the real advantage is in tire wear (or mpg ) from the regular air expanding and contracting from the heat build-up from the friction that keeps our Trucks on the road.

If you need to do a little test. take your tire pressure first thing in the morning. ( before you drive it) drive to the gas station or just 5 miles down the road. and check your pressures again. i think you will be surprised at the diference in pressures.

I am also an aircraft mechanic. we use the gas in the tires for the expansion or LACK-of expansion

Old 12-08-2006, 04:06 AM
msm_portata

Hehehe... y'all kill me. That is some real good guess work.

Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other stuff such as water vapor. There is not much difference between 78% and 95+% nitrogen.

The reason that nitrogen is used in tires is not due to the nitrogen itself but to the fact that the water vapor is filtered out when the nitrogen is purified.

With race cars, the tires get very hot. Since water vapor expands faster than nitrogen and oxygen, the tire airpressure rises quickly. With air in my tires, I will gain about four to five PSI during a race. With nitrogen I get maybe one or two PSI. In racing, tire pressure is a big deal. For street use where tire temps do not rise much, the pressure will not rise much.

Don't waste your money on nitrogen on the street. (oh, a bitch slap for the idiots that say they get the nitrogen for free -- they are paying for it via higher tire prices from the get go.)

Old 12-08-2006, 08:02 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

[sm=exactly.gif]
The Law's of Physics apply to Nitrogen, don't they...[sm=signs007.gif]
http://uniflate.com/index.php?option...tid=4&Itemid=3

Quick Reply: NITROGEN INFLATED TIRES?