3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, welcome to DF! seeing as how the wobble showed up right when you changed the tires, I'd say its the tires.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Atcoast
Default Death Wobble and Tires?

I was wondering about the tire situation. But I really dont have another 1500 bucks to spend on the Nitto Grabbers 325-50-22's i had on there.
I am going to have the caster looked at first. I have been doing alot of research on this subject and it all seams to come back to caster....I think what might have happened is that originally when the truck was set up by dodge with the 22's on it, they (Dodge) adjusted the alignment for the proper lift and tire size...but when I had the new tires put on at a tire dealer, they re-aligned the vehicle to factory specs wich would not work with the set up i have. Still working on it. Im going to a alignment shop tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

An unbalanced tire can cause the shaking as well. So before going through and spending that kind of cash, personally I would take it to a diffrerent tire place and have them balance the tires again. You never know a weight they put on there to balance it could have fallen off at the higher speeds.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Scorpio_08_HEMI
Rookie

Tire not balanced properly. Seems to be one of the most difficult jobs on planet earth (balancing a ****in wheel). Dont go to Billybobs Wheel World, Walmart, Pep Boys, or any other place that employs unqualifed labor. Dont fall for that, "We just calibrated our machine" bull**** either. A freshly calibrated machine means dick if the moron doesnt know how to use it. I have went round and round with idiots telling me all kinds of ****, but managed (after being refunded my money ) to find a qualified wheel man at various different locations throughout the US. Try Goodyear Service. Ive had the best luck with them. I speak from experience. 66,000 miles on an 08, I know when a ****in wheel is out of balance and usually by how much. Also, my wheels are balanced on both sides of the rims. Im willing to sacrifice a few scratches on my rims for good tire life and a smooth ride as opposed to vibration in the steering wheel and bouncing down the road. I got 61,000 miles out of the stock HP **** that came on my truck.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:16 AM
BIG HOOK
Professional
Unhappy

Ain't that the truth!

I learned a long time ago to also ALWAYS re-check the lug nuts for proper torque after balancing, rotating, brake work, etc., especially with the 8 lug 2500/3500's. Even reputable places have lazy mouth breathers who'll zip the wheels on with the air gun which can initiate another chapter of misery and woe.

Tim

Old 10-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Hok1ee
Default Death Wobble

I know this issue has been beaten to death but I'm looking for any type of suggestions. I have a 07 2500 Mega Cab that has the death wobble at 70 mph after hitting bridges usually. Currently I have upgraded to the T system steering linkage, new track bar bushings, new steering stabilizer, steering box stabilizer, new Michelin tires, new upper and lower control arms and have adjusted the caster from 2.5 up to 6.5 with no changes. The ball joints feel tight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Kasper William Eriksen

im at the same point as you, im gonna follow this thread and see what suggestions pop up

Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 PM
james w
Default Dodge Death wobble fix

First make sure all front end parts are tight. If so then install a rough country dual stabilizer kit. http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Rou...-PRD27255.aspx

I installed this on my 2005 dodge ram 2500. The wobble went away immediately. Before doing this I replaced everything (track bar, steering linkage, ball joints, and installed the gear box stabilizer) nothing worked until I installed this product. Now my truck drives like new again

Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 AM
Royal Gates

So the 2500 has an actual gear box? My 1500 has a rack and pinion.. Just curious. I know that what I experience is the truck (wheels) seems to want to bounce and loose traction when I hit bumps in the road during higher speeds. Feels like the truck could go out of control if the wheels bounced a little more .. This with the old and the new shocks (4)..

Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 PM
pontiacgto68

I have the same problem with my 01 ram 1500, but, the problem is that I've had all of my suspension in the front replaced as with a remanufactured steering gearbox. Mine has the death wobble at 50 mph, and it's horrible. I put a 5" lift on the truck and replaced all of my front suspension then...but about a year later, I got broad sided at my driver side front wheel...to which the suspension was replaced. Am I going to have to replace everything all over again???

Quick Reply: death wobble