3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Coldness

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
speeddemon145
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AC Coldness

I do not think they have a filter in them.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
silverbullet06

Well,
Last week after the dealer gave me the backorder story on the part I called D.Chrysler customer service center in Auburn Hills, Michigan last Friday. Still no recirc. door delivered to my dealer as I was promised today. All I get out of the advisors is the part was shipped from the parts depot, no tracking #, nothing.

The reason I am upset is because the faulty air problem has been goin on since May of this year. I was trying to get it fixed before it reached 104-106 degrees here in cental Cal. like the past few days.

I have also filed a written complaint to D.Chrysler over the poor service and lack of trouble shooting to fix my lousy warm air conditioning. After two visits at two different dealers all they did was put a thermometer in the dash vent and record the temp. The lowest temp recorded is 48 deg.F at a 92 deg. F ambient temp. The problem is, it usually runs about 58-60 deg. F at the vent and it will not cool the cab interior off with several passangers. If you are luck after 30 minutes the vent temp will hit 50-52.

The last service manager told me my truck was a dark color (bright silver inside/out), it is the sunroof and I should have a truck cover on it when it parked. The bottom line......B.S. This truck cost $44,000 and the A/C should handle the cab size and while driving in the sun on a warm day!!! The A.C works about as good as the 1990 Ford Bronco I replaced.

Thanks...

Old 07-20-2006, 01:08 PM
silverbullet06

You are correct recalls are for safety or emission control problems. In a situation of the climate control (A/C, heat & defrost) system not working it becomes a safety issue. Try driving down the road with no defrost air being discharged onto your windshield.

From all the feedback it appears this "climate control" issue goes back several model years. It is typical that manufacturers use the same components for several years. Unless there is a big design change components can span many years of production.

Multiple complaints to D.Chrysler customer service center will get some attention. I have seen issues where faulty parts are changed out when your vehicle is taken to the dealership for a routine service. They will not tell you, but you were on their list of vehicles to "update".

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

my truck and my dads truck both have frosty cold a/c maybe its not all of them maybe its just a handfull...

Old 07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I noticed my truck got a little warm on the inside when I sat in traffic yesterday due to a wreck. I was in park for about 20 minutes before I was able to move (and I was .2 miles from the wreck). As soon as I started to move, it got nice and cold again.

Things I've noticed:
1. The compresser needs revs to do a good job when it is really hot outside.
2. When the sun is baking down, it gets hotter on the inside when driving.
3. I have to turn the blower down a notch when it goes from baking down sunny to cloudy/shady.
4. I sometimes forget to turn the temp down and wonder why it isn't "cooling". Duh, a twist of the wrist and it cools nicely.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 AM
g352nv
Professional

My 06 AC sux! I thought it was maybe just my truck. I got into a buddies 06 the other day and I asked how his AC was. He said it was crap! I guess Im not the only one,lol.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM
manatlarge2
Rookie

Being futher south than HoustonHemi...i know what he means by living in a rain forrest 10 months a year...I had the same problems with the A/C on my 05 QC 1500 hemi....my 02 QC 1500 4.7....is another story...it gets to damn cold! After several trips to my dealer bitchin about the A/C and lots of me saying "well i dont do it no more. But i still have my ASE certification in frontends, brakes, drivetrain and HVAC, your not talking to an idiot i know how it works and it is not working the way they meant for it to" well a few days later he called and said there was a service bulletin out and wanted me to drop the truck off..and i did...picked it up later and it was the same. I stuck a temp gauge in the center vent rolled the windows down, outside temp was 92, turned the fan to high and put it on recirculate and watched as the temp gauge showed 111 degrees as the air first started blowing then it slowly cooled down to 82 degrees. By this time the truck and a/c had been running for 37 seconds, yes i time it. I rolled the windows up after 20 seconds the temp gauge showed 75 degrees, another 20 seconds gave me 67..one minute later it still showed 65. This was with the truck in the sun and idiling at normal 650 or so rpm. I increased the engine speed to 1000 rpms and the temp gauge showed 59 degrees after one minute..then i futher increased to engine speed to simulate highway crusing to 2200 rpms..after 40 seconds the temp gauge showed 55 degrees. And of course this does not allow for the fact that there is a 70 mph wind missing blowing across the condensor. The electric fan they have choosen to use is the same air flow as if you were driving 25 mph. So i was completly unhappy about how long it took to cool the interior down..were talking over 5 minutes here and the back seat head area still showed near 90 degrees temperatures with all the controls set to max cool. And yes it is a desighn flaw that DCX should address. I did some checking and found that the condensor and evaporator are all the same for the single, quad cab and the new mega cab mosels! Some one let the bean counters have there way! So to get to the point if you like the truck you have to live with it. I decided to add an additional 5 ounces of r134a to my system it helped some, but it did not make any major changes and runs the problem of compressor failure down the road. The 3.7/4.7/5.7 models call for a 1 pound 10 ounce charge. The 5.9 cummins calls for a 1 pound 14 ounce charge. Untill they install a larger condensor and evaporator there will be a/c issues with these models. Another opinion of mine is that the ECM controls the a/c cycle rate and it cycles the compressor on/off entirley to much, but you can not do anything sort of building a stand alone system for this, after all the sole purpose of this cycling is to prevent the evaporator core from freezing up and improving gas mileage,

Old 07-21-2006, 06:01 PM
silverbullet06

Great details!!!!! The dealers love to think customers are stupid and take advantage of the elderly or women. They want to sell, sell, sell, but service? What is that? As you stated, the A/C operation is marginal if all the conditions are right and the smaller the cab the better it will work!!!

Dealer ignored quality/performance problems happened to my in-laws with a brand new motorhome, it lead to a law suit and they won. Of course it took two years because the manufacturer wants you to give up or sell the problem to someone else!!!

I have been calling D.Chrylser and my dealer everyday and sometimes twice until I get and answer on the part fix. Well, the part number which started out being for the recirc. door was no good. Now the entire blower case is going to be replaced, can you read between the lines (problems). I asked for the part number and they would not share it.

I was told there are very few of the parts in the pipeline and my dealer had to send a check to the dealer which had the case to release it. It is due in next Tuesday, so...... I will keep everyone updated.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 PM
saltsman

I think it's a problem with the mega cab. In test driving several quad cabs vs. a mega cabs (in 100+ degree Texas) both the wife an I noticed mow much less air the mega cabs pushed out and how much warmer the air was that did come out. I doin't know why, but it was there every mega cab we drove (like three). I assume ther must be rear vents or something that divide the amount of air being delivered to the front. Who knows?

Old 07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
manatlarge2
Rookie

Hope you get your problem fixed silverbullit06.....Yeah i think the mega cabs have rear air vents....i think, can't remeber off the top of my head...as to what models i dont know.....an i do know that the charger/300 have a air filter on the fresh air cockpit intake as this is an option on the rams as well...but i guess someone with allergies its a nice feature...got an email from a good friend of mine today who works in the engineering dept for DCX..looks like someone has heard the bitching about the HVAC problems with the durango/ram line and a fix is in the works...he didn't say what the fix was..so keep bugging your dealer! Hopefully it will be out soon!

Quick Reply: AC Coldness