3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aux. gauge light hookup, please... anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux. gauge light hookup, please... anyone?

Can someone who has added auxilliary gauges to an '05 or similar RAM 1500 tell where to tap to get power to the gauge light (transmission temp in this case), please?

Of course, I'd like it to dim with the regular instrument lights, but with all the printed circuits used today I'd just be happy to get light when the dash lights come on.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aux. gauge light hookup, please... anyone?

If you don't want it to operate with the dimmer, there is a two wire connector behind the radio bezel for the ashtray.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:09 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

Give a little info on how you installed the tranny temp sensor. I'm thinking of doing this myself....

Old 07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the FSM, pg 8w-40-5 there is a wiring circuit for the instrunent cluster. There are two leads involved with the dimmer control. The wiring color is OR/BR. I think one is for the dome, the other is for the instument cluster.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Avanti
Captain

Thanks for the suggestions. Btw, my ST ashtray has no light. so... I guess I'll have to break out the svc. manual. I thought someone might have used something relatively easy to get to and I'd not have to fight the wiring diagram.

As for the tranny temp gauge/sender, I installed the PML finned-aluminum pan and had them drill and tap for a sender when I ordered.

Just for info regarding the pan, even pulling a 16' open alum car trailer and my wife's 2500 pound race car (total weight with truck nearly 10,000 pounds) I couldn't get the tranny temp above 130-140 degrees in the west Mississippi hills during 95+ degree weather (1500 hemi ST with towing package and 3.92 LSD). The only time it went higher (150) was idling for quite some time after pulling in town for a lengthy period. Something's working!

Thanks, again, for the info.

Quick Reply: Aux. gauge light hookup, please... anyone?