3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Rear End?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 03:55 AM
BgBluRam
|
Captain
Default What Rear End?

Hey all, just wondering what size the rear end is in the back of my 2003 Ram 1500 2wd. I am looking into getting the 4.56 gear swap done, and need to know what kind of gears to go with and where to get them cheap. But I must start with what size ring and pinion gears I have.. Thanks..

Old 07-12-2006 | 07:10 AM
abarmby
Champion
Default RE: What Rear End?

There should be a sticker in the front of your glove box with the info on it.
If not, e-mail DC your Vin# and ask for a build sheet.
That will tell you everything the truck came out with.
You could also jack your rear end up and spin your wheels.
That will tell you if you have an LSD, as both wheels will spin in the same direction if it has one. Also, count the number of turns your wheels and prop shaft turn. This will roughly give you your gear ratio .
Al.

Old 07-12-2006 | 11:41 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

There are many gear vendors out there. Many like Richmond, Auburn, etc, but there are plenty of good quality manufactures out there. Now is not the time to skimp on quality.

You have the 9.25" corporate DC rear end made by American Axle Manufacture (AAM), which is out of Detroit IIRC.

Old 07-12-2006 | 01:10 PM
eatsleepdrivesc
Veteran

bgblue if you need i can pull up your build sheet and tell you what is on your ram, all i will need is the last eight of the vin and approx current mileage!

Old 07-12-2006 | 02:14 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

When it comes to gears, name brand does not equal quality. Yukon is a fine brand but, all gears are made to the same strength standards and same materials and mine came with the same1 year warranty. The difference with a gear like Yukon is they are more exactng on their maching so they can say no gear noise. I ordered my gears from Jeremy at J.T.'s parts and accessories (www.ringpinion.biz). Cost was in the $160's with shipping - don't remember exactly. It was a basic brand. There is gear noise in the form of a whine almost like a quiet turbo winding up but nothing that is too bad. I've been very happy and Jeremy can answer just about any question you have.

Nick is a pretty big help too.

Old 07-12-2006 | 02:31 PM
BgBluRam
|
Captain

Yeah I know that I dont have the LSD and I know that the gears in it now are 3.55's .... I just needed the dimensions of the rear... so 9.25 it is... Thanks guys!

Old 07-12-2006 | 06:52 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: stump_breaker

When it comes to gears, name brand does not equal quality. Yukon is a fine brand but, all gears are made to the same strength standards and same materials and mine came with the same1 year warranty.

Yukon is a good brand as well. I was placing the emphasis on quality, not price.

Quick Reply: What Rear End?