3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time to vent!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Jetpig
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to vent!

What does it take to get a manual transmission anymore? Sure you can get the smaller engine in a manual or you can buy a 2500 series or bigger, why can we TRUCK owners NOT get a manual transmission anymore?? How sweet would a 1500 series regular and quad cab TRUCK be with both the 6 speed hurst or a 5 or 6 speed heavy duty MANUAL transmission be?? I just can not believe the way of the truck has gone to automatic transmissions.

Advantages: much better gas mileage, I can shift when I want to and don't have to deal with this constant shifting back and fourth, maintenance issues that completely PLAGUE automatic transmissions, especially those that have to actually work.

Has the age of talking on the cell phone while sipping a cup of Starbucks completely taken over the TRUCK market too??

DODGE, I WANT MY MANUAL!!!!!
IMHO
PIG

Old 08-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Time to vent!

Yep, you are right!!

That's one of the reasons I went for my 2500

Old 08-05-2006, 05:33 PM
schmedly
Rookie

Gone fishin', how's the mileage on your 5.7 manual. That's a nice combo that few people opt for.

Jetpig, I can't remember if or when the manual trans was ever offered in the 1/2 ton with the largest engine. Ford and Chevy only offer it, I believe, with the 6 cylinder. At least Dodge will give it to you with the baby eight. But the won't let you have it with leather. If you want leather it will have to aftermarket. It is a shame they don't offer it with the large eight. I have heard that its to avoid turning them into sport trucks, but then they will sell you a sport truck with an automatic or a srt10 with a manual.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Limedust
Professional

Check out the spec sheet for the new 2007 GM pickups. No manual transmission in sight for any model with any motor. And unless you get the Denali with the 6-speed auto, you're stuck with the 4-speed auto.

Since the hooks are there for the 6-speed manual, anybody ever try replacing the auto with a manual? Unless the 2500 and 3500 models are actually bigger in size, then I don't see why it can't be done, if not from the factory to begin with.

I'm just glad I was able to get the manual transfer case on my 2005 Ram 1500 4x4. For 2006 and beyond, only the weenie **** is available on the 1500. Now you have to jump to the 2500 for a manual transfer case from the dealership.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just turned 31k on mine, I recently changed plugs, which did in fact help the gas mileage at the 30k interval--just a standard platinum plug. I am averaging 16.3 mpg combined city and highway. I have seen as high as 18.? at the MPG computer reset right after a fill-up. I run the tires at the spec'd 40 psi cold, and TRY (it's hard sometimes) to keep the RPM under 2200rpm---which works out to about 70 mph in 6th gear. I ordered 3.73 gears. When I run over that, the MPG declines, but not a lot--into the 15's.

All in all, I wouldn't have an auto in my truck if you offered it up free.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:07 AM
schmedly
Rookie

Same here, and they are making it harder all the time to get a mnual. My first choice is the 2500 quadcab withe 5.7/manual. My wife really feels the difference between the 1500 and 2500. At this point I likely will end up with a 2wd 1500, 4.7 quadcab SLT, manual trans and Auburn LSD. If ANY snags come up trying to order this, I will go with MY first choice. When it comes to trips I do want her to be comfortable.

Quick Reply: Time to vent!