3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

commuter

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
squat
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default commuter

So I drive roughly 125 miles a day. How many of you have looked into/bought a little bitty (yaris/civic) vehicle and parked yer truck?? I've done the math myself, I'd be just about breaking even, but that's without factoring insurance into it, so I'd be at a net loss unless gas goes up more. I've been thinking about this a lot, also, anyone here have a Jetta TDI (about 10k more, but gets better mileage)?? Seems like you can do a lot of neat things to diesel these days to increase your mileage.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Default RE: commuter

if i had the money with a commute like that id buy a small car that got good mileage but not a honda or toyota just dont care for the imports id problly be tempted to by a a little used neon in good condition or another 4 cyl dodge car. just something that ran good and got good mileage and save the truck for hauling and towing and weekend activites. i def. wouldnt buy a brand new one unlees i was just rich out the wazoo but then again if i was rich out the wazoo i dont think mileage and the price of gas would concern me that much.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
squat
Rookie
Default RE: commuter

I'm not rich by any means. If I were the old addage 'didn't get rich by spending a lot of $$' would apply to me. My truck was a fairly new investment for me, and I've budgeted 700$ a month in gas for our household (I think that's fairly conservative since right now I spend ~450/month and the mrs drives about 30 miles a day to work putting her cost at ~100$/month). I'm just wanting the experiences (what kind of car did you buy, mileage, maintenance?) of others that have found that the cost of payments/gas on a small car was roughtly equal to gas cost on their truck. Saving miles on the truck and owning a third vehicle would be nice.

I'm almost leaning more towards the jetta even though payments/gas would put me at ~$550 instead of ~$450 because I live on a farm, I can grow flax and make biodiesel (I dunno if I want to do all that work, but I could).

Quick Reply: commuter