3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question regarding adding leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:27 PM
T Man
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question regarding adding leaf springs

I was wondering about adding a leaf spring to each side of my truck to beef up the suspension. When I tow my camper there is no problem with power but even with the equalizer hitch if I put a load in the back of the truck (along with towing the camper) my springs are sagging a lot. Would it be advisable to add a leaf spring to each side? I noticed on the 3/4 tons there is one extra leaf compared to the 1/2 tons.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Jetpig
Professional
Default RE: question regarding adding leaf springs

Instead of adding more leaf springs, you should consider an air bag assist. Pretty awesome since you can keep your ride quality when you are empty. I added a package to an older truck I think I paid around $170-200. Included 2 bags, (2.5-100psi adjustable) Fit between the top of the spring (bracket supplied) and a new hole drilled in the frame. Quality, super. Durability, still going. Each side is adjusted individually by a hand pump. I put the air valves (standard threaded tire valves) out the back and mounted them in such a way that they were also the bolts that held on the license plate, only with air caps on them. I swear by them. Something to think about for you.
Pig

Old 08-08-2006, 07:32 PM
T Man
Rookie
Default RE: question regarding adding leaf springs

Sounds like that could be just what I need, thanks for the tip. I will check out what is available out there in the way of air bag assist kits.

Quick Reply: question regarding adding leaf springs