3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant flush HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant flush HELP!

I'm an idiot that never reads far enough ahead to think what he may need.

Problems I'm facing:

1) I got green fluid that says it mixes with anything. But if I'm replacing all my fluid (and the Service Manual says not to mix with any other type of coolant but the Mopar brand) besides making my coolant green instead of orange, I'm supposedly breaking the warranty. What's this crap about HOAT? I bought Prestone 50/50 coolant ALL Makes ALL Models. Autozone says its Prestone's answer to Dexcool (which is the orange stuff) says it works fine. Do I need to wait until tomorrow to go into Dodge and buy their coolant or what?

2) the 75k warranty, is that for just the tranny or the entire engine thru the rear diff?

3) I can't get the block drain bolts undone, any suggestions? I only got maybe 3 gallons out of my 4.5 gallon system.

Someone please help me, I've hit the wall.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Default RE: Coolant flush HELP!

Cant help much bro,have you tried taking the thermostat out and letting the block drain that way?Is it A4.7 or a 5.7?

The 7/70 warranty is drivetrain only unless you paid for the extended warranty,then it should be 8/80

not sure what the milspec is on the anyifreeze,refer to the T.O. LOL!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:56 PM
gphilpot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

testing avatar sorry. GP

Old 09-06-2006, 05:16 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: WingViper

I'm an idiot that never reads far enough ahead to think what he may need.

Problems I'm facing:

1) I got green fluid that says it mixes with anything. But if I'm replacing all my fluid (and the Service Manual says not to mix with any other type of coolant but the Mopar brand) besides making my coolant green instead of orange, I'm supposedly breaking the warranty. What's this crap about HOAT? I bought Prestone 50/50 coolant ALL Makes ALL Models. Autozone says its Prestone's answer to Dexcool (which is the orange stuff) says it works fine. Do I need to wait until tomorrow to go into Dodge and buy their coolant or what?

2) the 75k warranty, is that for just the tranny or the entire engine thru the rear diff?

3) I can't get the block drain bolts undone, any suggestions? I only got maybe 3 gallons out of my 4.5 gallon system.

Someone please help me, I've hit the wall.
I've just bought the Mopar orange coolant myself last week.
I would suggest that if your still under warranty, with your new coolant being green and all............well..............it sure looks a lot different than the orange Mopar stuff..............Ceptin' if your colour blind and all LOL.
It would surley invalidate your warranty?[sm=confused06.gif]
Have you tried a chemical anti seize solution, to free off your block bolts?
We have some stuff over here in the UK, called Plus Gas. It frees all kinds of stuck and rusted bolts and fixings and stuff. You'll have some kind of equivallent over in the USA. Just paint it on and let it do it's stuff. If there really stuck, a long soaking of this stuff is needed. Sometimes overnight.
Can't help on the service stuff.
Al.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 PM
damquick1
Veteran

okay I'm no Dodge service guy, but I'd think that Coolant just like oils are manufactured to certain automaker specs, there is no way that changing your own oil, (as long as your using the proper specs), and coolant could possibly void a warranty. Sounds like your service guy wants your business for that 200 buck coolant flush......

Old 09-07-2006, 12:46 AM
reiderr
Professional

If possible, I'd recommend using Zerex's G-05 coolant, Dodge's "orange", or even the universal coolants. But, I'd avoid Dex-Cool like the plaque. I mistakenly thought "orange" is the same as Dodge's factory fill. 2 water pumps and one timing cover gasket later I switched to Zerex G-05 and the monthly adding of coolant stopped.

Roger...

Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 AM
motorhead426
All Star

I can't comment on the 'type of coolant' issue, but I'd spray the block bolts with some PB Blaster, and if possible some heat, warm the engine up at least. The reason you haven't got all 4.5 gallons out, is probably due to the heater core holding near a gallon or more of coolant. I usually use some compressed air (low psi) to get the heater core cleaned out. I just put my air gun in the hose and use small bursts, because a high air pressure could damage the core. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Coolant flush HELP!