3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear end problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM
rcassettyjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end problem?

I have run into my first real problem with my 04 hemi ram RC SB. I have the 5 speed auto, 3.55 gears with open diff, and 4 wheel disks if that matters.

About 8 months ago I starting hearing an occasional groan from the passenger side rear of the truck. It only seemend to be happing when I would take my twice a week 355 mile commute to WV. I would be running on fumes when I got there and it was cold and it would groan on take off. Once I filled it up, it didn't do it any more. I thought it might be the suspension loading and unloading differently with the lack of weight with almost no gas in it cause it went away when I filled it. Now come summertime, the truck does it when turning but not taking off. It does not do it all the time but enough that I notice. It is louder and more frequent when it is hot out. It has cooled off slightly here This week and I haven't noticed it as much. I was filling the truck up the other day and I happened to walk around the passenger side. The rear tire is worn almost bald from the inside edge about 1.5" inward. The rest of the tire is fine and is worn the same as the other 3.

It appears that that the tire must be experiencing much more weight or friction on that inside edge. I sat down and thought about it for a while and it seems that if the diff was dragging on that side when turning the tire would cup. The only thing that made sense to me was that the outer wheel bearing may be going bad and allowing the axle shaft to ride higher in the housing which would tip the tire slightly inward. It seems like that would have other problems associated with it but it was all I could think of.

Any suggestions on another cause?

Thanks

Bob

Old 09-23-2006, 03:54 AM
abarmby
Champion
Default RE: Rear end problem?

Hi Bob.

Can you jack up the rear on the side with the problem.
When you've done that, take a good hold of the outside edges of the tires and give the whole wheel a series of pulls.
ie, try and wiggle the whole wheel from the top to the bottom and then bottom to top.
If theres a worn wheel bearing, you will feel and possibly here the wheel moving. A kind of wiggling.
If there's no play in the wheel, then I believe it's OK.
How's your rear shocks as well?
No leaks and such?
How many miles on your truck?
Have you checked your diff fluid levels?
Having the open diff as you have is much less complicated than the lsd with all there C clip issues.
If all this checking seems fine, if she's under warranty, take her in and get her checked.
Hope this helps?
It's only very basic stuff but it might point you in the right direction.
Al.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 PM
david0991
Default RE: Rear end problem?

my bad guess is under inflated tire.

Quick Reply: Rear end problem?