3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunking from the rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Mikeys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking from the rear end?

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 offroad with 30K miles and it has this clunking in the rear end mostly when going in reverse. I have done everything to the suspension and can honestly say it is not the suspension, I think it is coming from the rear end, drive shaft, ujoint or something like that. Has anyone else had any kind of similar problems like this or does anyone know of any know problems with this model truck??

Old 09-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clunking from the rear end?

is the clunking when you shift into reverse or while moveing.

I am going to say new u-joints are in your future.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Mikeys

Sorry it took awhile to get back. I just got it back from the Dodge dealer and they heard the noise and said it was slack in the rear end and that this was normal...... (BULL!!). There is no way that this was normal, it's just too load, too frequent, too annoying.... you CAN shake the truck bed back and forth and hear the slack in the rear end and the axle sliding back and forth, but would this cause the clunk, clunk noise while backing up?? How can I fix this... the dealer just made a note in my file and called it normal?? WTF. Any ideas.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:12 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

Don't know about the slack in the rear end thing but mine was caused from a loose spare tire. Tightened it up and it all went away.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
kharding20
Professional

We had an 01 dodge ram that had a clunk in the rear end and it ended up being a broked limited slip diff clip or something like that. It has been a while but I think that is what they said was doing it. May be something to check out, or someone else can bump in and say if this is a possibility or not. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Clunking from the rear end?