3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible engine seize

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 AM
jcf1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible engine seize

So I was driving my truck to work this morn and got about a 1/2 mile down the road when my "check gauges" light came on. I looked down and everything was normal on the dash and then my truck just died. I coasted off the road and attempted to restart the truck with no luck. The ignition just clicked. Checked the batt which was fine, checked my oil which was 2 quarts low, ect. Took it to a local shop where they did a quick lookover and everything seemed fine but truck would not turn over. Put a wrench on the pully and tried to manually turn the crank over and again no such luck. How much compression do these motors have as far as not being able to turn them over by hand. THen we took the drain plug out and a bit of sludge pooped out of the pan before the oil actually came running out. Looked prety decent according to the mechanic as far as color concistancy. Did not find any collant or unburned fuel in the oil so now I'm really getting worried the motor seized. Is there anything else that can cause my truck to seize up? A/c unit maybe? Any thought's are VERY appriciated.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 AM
KSZRT
Default RE: possible engine seize

ORIGINAL: jcf1977

So I was driving my truck to work this morn and got about a 1/2 mile down the road when my "check gauges" light came on. I looked down and everything was normal on the dash and then my truck just died. I coasted off the road and attempted to restart the truck with no luck. The ignition just clicked. Checked the batt which was fine, checked my oil which was 2 quarts low, ect. Took it to a local shop where they did a quick lookover and everything seemed fine but truck would not turn over. Put a wrench on the pully and tried to manually turn the crank over and again no such luck. How much compression do these motors have as far as not being able to turn them over by hand. THen we took the drain plug out and a bit of sludge pooped out of the pan before the oil actually came running out. Looked prety decent according to the mechanic as far as color concistancy. Did not find any collant or unburned fuel in the oil so now I'm really getting worried the motor seized. Is there anything else that can cause my truck to seize up? A/c unit maybe? Any thought's are VERY appriciated.

What year truck??? how many miles???? two qts down is bad but not that bad. I have seen on other boards problems with valve spring leting go and seizing a motor

Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
motorhead426
All Star

After hearing the 2 quarts low and sludge comment, it sounds like your not taking the best of care of your truck. If its a hemi, I'd say that they tick enough when they are full of oil, versus 2 quarts low. I'm interested in hearing the mileage and what engine this is.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much coolant is in the radiator? A blown head gasket can fill a cylinder with fluid causing a hydro lock.If this happened while running its bad news,busted pistons and bent rods are the norm.Having no coolant in the oil does not eliminate this possibility.Is there oil in the radiator?Usually when an engine locks from oil related problems it makes a hell of a racket before it locks,any unusual noises?

Old 10-03-2006, 02:22 PM
jcf1977

No noises were made what so ever. Totally no warning as far as sounds go. The motor is a 4.7 with 48,000 miles on it. Truck is an 02'. A sfar as oil in the coolant...............there was none. I never did look into the radiator though.

Quick Reply: possible engine seize