3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird electrical prob w/02 ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:50 PM
txdodgechic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical prob w/02 ram

A couple weeks ago my truck started dinging at me while I was driving and the 'lamp out' flashed erratically. I checked..no lamps out. It's been doing this off and on, but driving fine. I drive it and try to start it about an hour later and it makes no attempt to crank...no power at all. We jump it, it cranks right up, exhaust sounds rough, but let off the accelorator and it dies. It will only start back up if it's being jumped. I noticed a ticking sound coming from the steering column. We get it home by driving with one foot on the accelorator and the other foot braking. WTF? I've heard some horror stories about electrical probs with dodges. It's an 02 1500 with less than 60K!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Default RE: Weird electrical prob w/02 ram

You really need to drive straight to the dealership and have them look at it. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 PM
txdodgechic

I really have no intentions going to a dealer. My trust in a dealership runs about as long as my truck does at this point.
*update* A new battery was put in and the truck started. It drove around the block, but tried dying as soon as I started backing into the driveway. It will start, but quickly dies unless the accelorator is down.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:00 PM
bign1976
Veteran

In my 01, the battery died, jumped it, and it wouldn't stay running without staying on the gas. I pulled the battery out of my 05, which i knew was good because I had just gotten the truck. Hooked it up and it ran fine. Buddy of mine who knows alot about cars said a cell probably went bad in the battery, which made it so it couldn't be jumped and stay running. But if you tried a new battery, I have no clue

Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Exchevy
Professional

I had an 04 ram before my 06, you might want to pull off your steering wheel bezel and have a look at the main ignition wiring harness on the left side of the steering colum. My truck had a bad connection in the harness that caused a clicking noise when it wasn't making a good connection, also just about started a fire. as far as the lamp out indicator,It is controlled by your front body control module located on the left side of your fuse box under the hood, I had to replace mine as well.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:37 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

What motor are we talking about? The 5.9L has known to have the plenum gasket leak oil and cause rough running. Also, with the battery situation, Have you pulled off the alternator and had it tested at an auto parts store?

Quick Reply: Weird electrical prob w/02 ram