3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 Drivetrain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:28 AM
bisonboy02
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 Drivetrain Noise

I have a 05 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi with 58k. When only in 4 wheel drive and turning with foot off gas pedal (coasting) there is a whining noise that sounds like it coming fron the transfer case or the rear end. The noise seems louder at lower speeds and doesn't matter if on pavement, gravel, dry or wet ground. I have taken it to 2 dealers and one said this is normal and the other says that there is a noise but they don't know where it is coming from. They also told me that if they went further into the troubleshooting and didn't find anything wrong I would be charged for the time and parts. How can I be charged if they agree that there is a noise and can't locate where it is coming from, the truck is still under warranty! I don't work for a automotive shop, but I do work at a highway truck shop and I have a good understanding of how warranty works. If we do a repair and it doesn't cure the problem, then we eat the costs.

Is this noise normal for a limited slip diff? or should I get it looked at by a different dealer?

Any help would be great.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 AM
arrowman
Professional
Default RE: Ram 1500 Drivetrain Noise

If you have it in 4x4 and are turning at all on anything but a loose surface, the noise your hearing is the life OOZING RAPIDLY out of your transfer case.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:02 AM
bisonboy02
Amateur
Default RE: Ram 1500 Drivetrain Noise

Can you explain a little further. I know about the front and rear diffs turning at different speeds and the transfer case then slips the difference. My truck never did this until about 6 months ago and my friend with the simular truck does not make this noise.

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 Drivetrain Noise