3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shiffty Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:36 AM
miller_high_life20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shiffty Problems

I just bought a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Friday. Got onto a freeway onramp today and put the hammer down and the engine only would rev to 3900 rpm and then it hit the rev limiter. Put the truck in neutral to see if it was the tranny and it still only reved to 3900. Then a few miles down the road everything returned to normal. Guessing that the thing thought it was in neutral and didnt let it rev when I was trying to go. Anyone had this problem? Seems to be a bit clunky shifting too. Also when going about 40 mph and letting off the gas there is a clunk in the driveline somewhere. Then get back on it and it does it again. Almost feels like having it in first gear, winding it out, and letting off how it surges. Any ideas or is this normal. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Shiffty Problems

Probably one of the electronic servos on the transmission was sticking. When was the tranny fluid replaced? How does it look?

Old 10-09-2006, 02:12 PM
miller_high_life20

It can't be too bad. The truck only has 7100 miles on it. Maybe it just needs to be driven? The previous owner must have drove it to church and thats it. Any other ideas or experiences? Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

It is usually during the low miles that the problems show up with the servos and electronics. There have been numerous reports of a random problem, similar to yours, that never occurs again. Is there a CEL? If not, I'd wouldn't be that concerned with it, especially if it hasn't happened again.

On mine, every blue moon, it would hesitate to shift into reverse or not at all. I just threw it back up into park and back to reverse. No problems. I think it occured twice in 24K miles.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had any shifting problems with mine that I didn't cause myself, what really sucks is when its cold and I stall it at a light, but then again--I'm driving a stick.

Quick Reply: Shiffty Problems