3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suggested mods and upgrades for Ram 1500 Night Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006 | 10:21 AM
MasterMadden
Default RE: Suggested mods and upgrades for Ram 1500 Night Runner

Aright, I have to bump my own thread again. Beats starting a new thread right.

I went to the service center last night to get the bed liner, running boards (the black polish tubes), the tint on the front windows, the bug deflector, wind deflectors, undercarriage spray whatever blah blah blah. They got my truck for a couple days.

I started asking the parts department about exhaust and intake. They don't offer any performance parts for the '06's yet as everyones aware of I'm sure. No cold air intake, and the only performance exhaust they offer is the dynomax. I asked about if I went and put a flowmaster on or something like that, with an intake. They said anything that was affected by the exhaust or intake, or extra HP would not be covered by my warranty. Obviously most people around here put after market exhaust and intake. You just don't worry about the warranty? Or is there a way around it?

Would it be fine to get the dodge offered exhaust? I can get the dual dynos installed from Dodge for like 900$. Should I stick it out and go after market or keep the warranty and not worry about doing intake at all?

Also, anybody who's really good with modifications and knows trucks well that feels like helping a newbie get his truck set up without disrupting the entire board please feel free to let me know. I really don't know much about upgrading rides, I've drove junkers my whole life and never had the oppurtunity to add anything to them, and never bothered to learn how to work on them. I just don't want to overpay or buy junk. I want to get good quality for good prices as we all do, but ignorant as I am don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated. Private Mess or AIM is an option. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2006 | 02:58 PM
Stroker
Veteran

If I understand this correctly the federal government passed a bill a few years back that requires warranties to not be voided by aftermarket parts. The only way you can have an item not covered by warranty is if they can prove your modifications directly resulted in the problem. Now obviously a new exhaust wouldn't be covered but everything before the exhaust should be. The only exception might be the o2 sensor. If you blow a head gasket on the other hand you’re after market exhaust didn't cause that. Now here’s the problem, even if they are wrong when they tell you have voided your warranty you don't have much recourse without getting legal fees involved which can easily exceed repair costs. Basically I would advise you to go to a different dealership if you want the warranty to stay valid because it sounds like this guy doesn't want to mess with modded vehicles. Talk to a couple different service managers and ask them what you have asked us and see how these different ideas would affect your warranty. Again I am not sure if I fully understand the way this works I have only heard from some people but either way talking to different service managers will give you a good idea what to expect. Plus just because an item isn’t listed for an 06 yet doesn’t mean the 05 one won’t fit it but a good service manager will know.

As far as exhaust, try www.exhaustdepot.com he has a true dual with an x pipe that should work for you. That is something else you will want to check with the service guys when asking them about this. You should find one without much searching who is a motor head and is into this type of thing. When you find them they will be able to tell you if an exhaust set up to fit a 04 will work on your 06. One thing you need to think about is I have seen some people who don't like the way an aftermarket exhaust sounds when the MDS(?) kicks in. They say it sounds like a 4 banger so you need to decide why you want the upgrade is it to be louder or gain power. If power is all you are after then you might think about getting this dual setup with super 40s.

Old 10-24-2006 | 10:28 PM
Typeo28

Your rights are protected through the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 USC, 2302, and the Clean Air Act, 42 USA § 7541.

You have the right to buy high-quality, reliable aftermarket performance and replacement parts – an affordable and convenient alternative to the vehicle maker’s parts.
You have the right to use high-quality aftermarket parts and know that your new car warranty claims will be honored. In fact, your vehicle dealer may not reject a warranty claim simply because an aftermarket product is present. A warranty denial in such circumstances may be proper only if the aftermarket part caused the failure being claimed.
You have the right to patronize independent retail stores for vehicle parts and installation. The U.S. aftermarket offers the world’s finest selection of aftermarket products that satisfy the most discriminating customers seeking personalized vehicles for today’s lifestyle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealer’s refusal.

I copied this from the Gibson Performance page, but you have the right by law to make your truck, "your truck" I would find a different stealership to go to and definately buy your upgrades elsewhere. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Suggested mods and upgrades for Ram 1500 Night Runner