3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:46 AM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Upgrade

Hey guys, I've heard that replacing the head unit on the Infinity system gives you better sound and such, without changing the speakers. So I am looking for suggestions on what head unit to use. I want it MP3 capable, with green lighting that will match the current interior lights. Nothing too gawdy either that it looks out of place. Also I got hooked on the 6 disc changer. Any ideas guys?

Old 10-21-2006, 10:32 AM
20brewcity02
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio Upgrade

i worked for an customs shop installing audio and i swear by both eclipse and alpine. eclipse seems to be a bit more gaudy with brighter displays. i personally have an alpine in my truck, hooked to a 6disk changer and my ipod and i love it. i have the display set to blue, and dimmed a bit, and it actually doesnt look bad with the green lights. ill try to get some pics for you tonight. the entire setup cost a total of 450 with ipod wire and changer.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 PM
MudSeasonVT

I have an Eclipse myself. Not installed in the truck just yet, but i plan to soon. when shopping for a GOOD Quality system, i leaned towards crisp sound and clarity. Don't get me wrong, i have a few alpines in my other rigs, But The Eclipes is By far the Superior... The head unit and a 500 watt amp. 10" subs. total...950 and that was 4 yrs ago......... if you want to buy something descent, stay away from retailers like best buy and check out the guys that only sell this stuff. i think you will be surprised......

Old 10-21-2006, 08:51 PM
20brewcity02
Professional

not sure if you've heard the new alpines, but they are as good or better than the new eclipses. we use them in our comp. vehicles and everything else. i love the new alpines. i will agree, the older gens of alpine were not as crisp.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 AM
mazz
Veteran

Some '04 Dodge Rams with the Infinity system, had two wires crossed in the plug at the back of the head unit. There was a TSB on this. The systems sounded out of phase. The RBQ (six disc in-dash) unit used in '04, was manufactured by Alpine, and has pretty decent specs; better than some aftermarket units.

The factory speakers are mush. I swapped all mine out for Infinity Reference, using component woofers in the front doors, for the bass. Sound improvement was amazing.

Quick Reply: Radio Upgrade