3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new chevy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:34 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new chevy...

With a RC,SB, 4x2 completely stock the SS will beat you even from a roll. However add an exhaust and better tires to grip the road a bit more than the stockers will and you will own it. I've raced my uncles several times and the first few without any mods stock to stock he beat me every single time however after adding my exhaust and upgrading the tires I'd beat him almost always and after the superchip tuner I own him every single time. I ve also raced one of those 6L Chevys and they are not as fast as what you might think. With just a cat back exhaust you'll own him and add a tuner and he wont know what hit him. The Chevy really lacked in getting all that power to the pavement.

Also just because a truck is rated at a higher horse power than another deffinately does NOT mean that it will automatically win against something with less horse power. The horse power measured at the crank is not the deciding factor in any race. Im tired of everyone always thinking that just because some other company produces a truck with higher hp at the crank that it will automatically beat a Ram with a HEMI and vise versa.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: hemi24s

i have to agree sometimes beauty is more important than muscle, i would rather have a sick *** looking truck with 345 hp than a pos looking truck with 1000 hp anyday
That truck looks awful. I looks like a colorado with a trailblazer front end and doors from a tahoe, which maybe what it is lol. At any rate that thing is hideous. I know at some point they will but I would be happy if Dodge made their trucks look the same as they do now for ever. What ever happened to the days of not changing the body style every 4 years anyway, parts from 73-87 chevy trucks will pretty much interchange regardless of year. I really hope Dodge really makes their trucks look better before they redesign the whole thing again, hopefully not gawdy and boxy like that Chevy because I think the 1999-2006 Chevys are pretty good looking. As far as performance goes, if you get beat by an SS its all the more reason to make your truck faster, racing a stock truck isn't that cool anyway.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
nathanp
Captain

i think the 6 liter engine is their vortek max engine, it has been a special order option for awhile i thoguht. They never have advertised it though for some reason

Old 10-23-2006, 08:28 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: nathanp

i think the 6 liter engine is their vortek max engine, it has been a special order option for awhile i thoguht. They never have advertised it though for some reason
I think what you are talking about is a high output 5.3 motor but I could be wrong.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

i will say that dodge has the best looking trucks on the road, the new chevys are as ugly as they could have made them, fords are fords, and all the riceburner trucks arent even real trucks. i will not even consider honda, nissian, and toyota to be real trucks untill they make a heavy duty truck with a deisel engine...wich they would just get laffed at for doing.

Im not a big fan of the restyled dodge for 06 and 07 but im gonna stick with them and see what their 08 looks like...overall i think the best years are the 2003-2005 because of the way of the grille and the lights look so nice together... but to get back on topic it doesnt really matter if the chevy has an avialbe bigger option, dodges still look better and they know how to make a truck fast and look good (srt=10) although there droping its production after this year

Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 PM
motorider228
Champion

The vortec max is a regular fullsize GM pickup with the 6.0 in it. They make the VHO (vortec high output) which is the chevy and they make the Vmax (vortec max) which is the GMC. May be incorrect as to what the GMC and the Chevy are called but it does have the 6.0 345HP 380ftlbs of torque. As for the looks, I personally think the SS is a sweet looking truck, same with the lightning. I do not like the regular fords or titans though. Chevys look nice all around to me though.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 AM
hoopdad
Rookie

ORIGINAL: nathanp

My father-in-law has an '00 Silverado 2500 with the 6.0 liter, so they've had it at least since then.

Quick Reply: new chevy...