3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DMH Cut Out Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 AM
400exmkt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMH Cut Out Wiring

I ordered the single cut out and I asked the guy at dmh and he really couldnt tell me. He said something about going to the cig. lighter? If so how would i do this? Is there an other way to wire it up that you liked better? They will be here on friday and installed on saturday so i kinda need an answer fast. Any help at all will work.

I have the stock headers and cats for the time being so is this going to work out ok without hurting the motor?

Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Seanutz
Veteran
Default RE: DMH Cut Out Wiring

i was thinking of wiring all my add-ons into my center console, through the back or underside of the cab and under the carpet up through the into the center console so everything is tucked away and not visible to the untrained eye....ive got a basic i dea on how to do this but i need to look into it before i actually do anything, cause i could seriously mess my truck up if i do it wrong....

Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 PM
400exmkt

Someone has got to know how to do this...

Someone please help...

Old 10-26-2006, 02:54 AM
400exmkt

Come on!!!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:18 AM
abarmby
Champion

Ok,
Run your cut out wire up from underneath your truck and up to the battery side of your firewall.
Go back inside your truck and look upward underneath the foot pedal area beneath your steering wheel. Just slightly above or below (I can't remember from memory) where your steering wheel linkeage comes through your firewall, you will see a little rubber hole and boot/gater.
You will probably have a wire/cable already coming through it from the engine bay.
Go to the engine side and check on the this side for the rubber boot/hole gater thing.
This is where you want to punch another hole into the soft rubber and feed your electrical cable for your cutout, through.
Feed the cable through and then, pick a place to mount your switch.
I chose the little plastic panel just below the main lights switch.
You can easily pull off all that plastic panelling stuff. Just be carefule, take your time and make sure, there's no screws holing the panels in place.
Drill a hole in the plastic with either the correct size drill bit, or one of those stepped drill bits. Then fit and screw tight your switch.
The electrical stuff is then easy.
First, as with ALL electrical stuff, remove your neg cable from the trucks battery, to isolate it.
The black wire from your cutout goes to a suitaable earth. I crimped on a round ring connector, then used a self tapping screw to screw it to some metal work underneath the dash. Make sure it's a good earth with no paint stopping a good connection. Use a little emmery tape, to clean up the earth to a nice shiny metal.
The red wire or "live" needs to be tapped into a power on feed, thats ONLY on, when the ignition/assossories is on. Pull the plastic trim away from your lower cigarette lighter. Check with a multimeter which wire goes live when you swtch your ignition etc.
This is the one you will need to splice into with your red live cutout wire.
I soldered all my connections into place rather than use these "plastic wire taps" you can get. I have never liked them and prefer a more solid, soldered job.
Reconnect your battery and work the switch. You should here a whirring sound as the cutout opens and closes.
DO NOT operate this switch for more than 3 seconds. The cutout doesn't have an off position and if you keep the power on, it will try and close/open all the time you use the switch. This will make motor in the cutout burn out, due to heat build up, as the motor tries to open/shut the butterfly flap against a stop.
That's it.
I can't help with the welding up of your cutout, as it's a skilled job.
The wiring is easy and I hope you'll enjoy your cutout as I and many people on here do.
Post up and let us know how you get on and how you like it.
Al.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 PM
400exmkt

Thats exactly what i needed to know. Thanks alot..

Quick Reply: DMH Cut Out Wiring