3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering going out in wet weather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 AM
claytonfranke
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering going out in wet weather?

Lately here in houston we have gotten a lot of rain. About a month ago i noticed when i drove through water fast enough to make it splash into the engine, the belt would squeal. After it squealed for a few seconds it would go away. I know the wetness is making my belt slip, however does this also make me lose my power steering? When i drive through water that splashes into the engine i am losing all steering. If i punch the gas a bit, the belt squeals, it dries off and catches again, and then my powersteering will return. I'm not sure how the rack and pinion steering works but when i am losing my steering i am totally losing it. It wont turn at all. Its not like an old vehicle that has no power steering and it is just harder to turn, my steering is just locking up. It is very dangerous if youre not careful. Any one had this problem or know how the belt slipping could effect my steering? Or do i have a different problem? I know i probably need a new belt but the truck only has 40,000 miles on it.

Help appreciated

Clayton '04 QC Lonestar 4.7 manual

Old 10-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering going out in wet weather?

I am going to give this a try,I dont know if I can explain it but I will try. A rack and Pinion is basically a double acting un balanced hydraulic actuator.This means hydraulic force is required to move the actuator in either direction.A series of check valves allow fluid to go to the pressure side while allowing the return side to open,thus allowing fluid to return to the reservoir.In the event of sudden pressure loss the R&P will try to return to neutral,thereby causing your temporary loss of steering.If you pop the hood and look at the R&P system you will notice that it is a purely hydraulic system,thereis no steering box like on older power steering applications.The older systems were power assisted,not fully hydraulic,thats why you used to be able to turn them with no hydraulic assist.You can do this on a R&P system also,but to a much lesser extent.
My truck also gets a little hard to steer when I get water in the engine compartment,but not to the extent you describe.My best advise to you would be to replace the belt.This should fix your problem

Old 10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
motorhead426
All Star

A few months back someone else made a post just like this. Sound like you need a new belt or maybe a new tensioner. How many miles are on your truck?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I haven't really heard to much about having the belt squeel like oyurs in rain so it might be the belt however you might also be hydroplaining too if your punching the gas in water high enough to splash your engine.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Jetpig
Professional

You are hyroplaning, steering is fine. These trucks hydroplane like crazy on the front end.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 PM
sfccross

I don't know about the trucks, but I had a 1996 Caddy Seville STS that was doing the same thing. It turned out to be the belt tensioner needed replace and a new serpentine (s) belt.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 PM
LoFlyer
Professional

Check your tensioner to see if it is maxed out in either direction. If maxed to the II then you're getting no tension and the tensioner is bad. If maxed to the I then the belt is stretched to it's limit.

Quick Reply: Steering going out in wet weather?