3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing 06 Infinity 7-speaker System

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 02:58 PM
scdaren
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 06 Infinity 7-speaker System

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with the Infinity 7-Speaker Non-nav 6-cd/mp3 sound system. In short, it sucks, absolutely crappy.

So, I picked up a Kenwood HU, new speakers for the 4 doors, and will be using a 4-channel and 2-channel amp and 10" sub from my 02 Ram. The new one is quad-cab, so I'm picking up a Q-Logic box that fits under the back seats. Basically, I'm replacing everything.

First of all, does anyone know if I'll have trouble with any other vehicle features with the factory HU gone? I do know that the 06 is different from previous years, with something called a CAN Bus. I've seen a few different products out there involving this -- Crutchfield offers a harness that requires you to bring in switched power and I think also has a lead that needs to go to the other side of the amp. I have also seen a product out there called a LAN interface, and another adapter that allows you to hook up an aftermarket HU to the factory amp and speakers (I want to replace it all). Both these items run around $80-100. What do I need? Is a simple harness enough?

Second, I would normally wire a system like this by running speaker wiring from my new amp and splicing into the wiring harness behind the deck. Because this truck as a factory amp located above the glove box, this will not be possible. Has anyone had success splicing into the speaker wires normally going to the out side of the factory amp? I'm not using the dash speakers because the poor positioning of these contributes to the bad sound.

I've been told that with the new doors on the 06 that most aftermarket 6x9's hit the door glass... only the tiny-magnet cheap ones work. I know in my 02 it was damn close with Polk 6x9s. Can anyone confirm this?

Any other tips on hooking this up? In theory the factory system would be awesome, but the quality is incredibly poor. I've heard far superior stock Infinity systems in other Chrysler vehicles, they just really cheaped out on this.

Thanks
Daren

__________________________________________________ ______
2006 1500 QC Hemi 4x4 TRX4 SLT

Old 10-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Xjman1
Default RE: Replacing 06 Infinity 7-speaker System

I was looking at Crutchfield and there are a few 6x9'S that fit. I plan on upgrading to Boston Acoustics and a powered tube in the back with stock head unit for asthetics. Should give clean sound with a little punch.
I really like the underseat units but then the rear seat will not fold flat.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 AM
DRam1five00

Im looking for an aftermarket soundsytem for my 06 regular cab ram. Nothing fancy but something that is clear and above average. Is there anybody who has previous experience with the subject that could offer any suggestions?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
djr04
All Star

The factory uconnect goes through your factory radio, as does the sirius connection. If you cut out the factory head unit, the only part you will be able to use will be the sirius antenna. As far as hooking up your new stuff, you won't shouldn't need the harness to go from aftermarket HU to stock amp/speakers. The infinity system does not control volume at the headunit, it actually sends a signal to the amp to raise or lower volume. That won't be an issue for you though, since you won't be using the stock amp.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

i was reading the same **** at crutchfield. i plan on getting myself a new deck with some navi and putting 2 10s under my rear seat with a fiberglass box. i plan on keeping the speakers for a bit longer since they do sound better than the non-upgraded speakers which i had last year. but after i get more money for door speakers, i plan on putting in some MB Quarts or Polks in the doors...

Quick Reply: Replacing 06 Infinity 7-speaker System