3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:50 AM
nash1970
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change ?

I just did my second il change today my question is after doing the first oil change I put in 7qts like the manual said and the dip stick showed right at the top of the safe range I didn't question it and also the oil guage showed really high too . so today I only used 6.5qts now the level is a little above the bottem of the safe range and the oil guage reads a little lower like more in the normal range . So has anyone else have had something like this happep with their truck too .

Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 AM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: Oil change ?

I would think you would have to have alot more oil than you actually needed to get the pressure gauge to read too high. Are you warming the truck up to operating temperature before you shut it off and drain the oil?

Old 10-30-2006, 02:40 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I question your oil gauge. The reason I state this is because the oil gauge is an "idiot gauge" meaning that it will read in the middle as long as the pressure is in a spec'd range. This is new to the 3rd gen Rams as the 2nd gen Rams would show the actual pressure.

I'd not worry so much about it and just make sure the oil is in the safe range.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

The first time you changed it you put in 7 qts of oil. So why did you leave out the other 1/2 qt of oil this time? [sm=confused06.gif] As you said it is at the bottom of the safe range and not at the top where it belongs so it's telling you to add the other 1/2 qt of oil! Of course I hope you started it after the change so to make sure the filter was full and then let it sit a while so it can be checked later after it has set for the oil to drain back in to the oil pan.

Quick Reply: Oil change ?