3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 RAM SLT EMC Code Access

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 03:07 AM
1engineer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 RAM SLT EMC Code Access

Had the EGR valve on my 2006 RAM SLT fail earlier this week. Did some reading here in the forum and attempted to retrieve the error code using the ignition switch method.

Didn’t work and I figured I would ask the service advisor at the dealership to demonstrate the on-off-on-off-on technique.

He advised me that the 2006 RAM SLT 5.7 ltr 2X4 EMC does not display the error codes using the on-off-on-off-on technique.

So, is there a different approach or must I resign myself to purchasing an OBDII reader some time down the road?

A read faced Eric in CA.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned
Default RE: 2006 RAM SLT EMC Code Access

Fortunately, there is another way. To do this, get in, hold down the Trip Odo. button, and turn the key to "run" but don't start it. It will run a short diagnostic and then it should display "C-Code" on the Odo. readout and then it'll start giving you the codes if there are any. There are a few guys on here that have a list of what all the codes are. Look up dodgerules86. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help ya out.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 PM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: 2006 RAM SLT EMC Code Access

ORIGINAL: dirtydodge02

Fortunately, there is another way. To do this, get in, hold down the Trip Odo. button, and turn the key to "run" but don't start it. It will run a short diagnostic and then it should display "C-Code" on the Odo. readout and then it'll start giving you the codes if there are any. There are a few guys on here that have a list of what all the codes are. Look up dodgerules86. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help ya out.
That only gives you the "C" codes which are chassis related. The "P" codes are engine/transmission related, which the EGR valve would come under. For those, you need to connect to the computer port with a reader.

Quick Reply: 2006 RAM SLT EMC Code Access