3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:36 PM
BROWN03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug replacement?

I've got a 03 Hemi with 90k miles and I'm looking for a good replacement spark plug. Should I go back with OEM or is there a cheaper/better plug out there? THANKS

Old 11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Default RE: Spark plug replacement?

oh boy did you just open up a can of worms.
Everyone has their own preference but, for cheap and good, use basic copper core Champions. Just be ready to change out every 20k miles or so.
For a more top-end plug, I like Bosch +4's. Work very well in my Jeeps.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 AM
reiderr
Professional

If money is no object, consider the Denso Iridiums (ITL16), NGK Iridiums (LZTR4AIX-11), the Autolight XP Iridiums (XP5263), or the Champion Iridium (9403). They should net you at least 60k mi between changes. The Bosch have a bad rep in some circles due to faulty resistors that may have been fixed in more recent versions. I've used the Autolite XPs with good results and they're typically 1/2 the price of some of the others. If you go with the copper cores, the Champion Truck Plugs have a good reputation.

BTW, I've used Bosch plugs and most of the above brands over the years in a variety of applications, other then longevity, I've never measured any difference in MPG or acceleration between any of them.

Roger...

Old 11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: reiderr

If money is no object, consider the Denso Iridiums (ITL16), NGK Iridiums (LZTR4AIX-11), the Autolight XP Iridiums (XP5263), or the Champion Iridium (9403). They should net you at least 60k mi between changes. The Bosch have a bad rep in some circles due to faulty resistors that may have been fixed in more recent versions. I've used the Autolite XPs with good results and they're typically 1/2 the price of some of the others. If you go with the copper cores, the Champion Truck Plugs have a good reputation.

BTW, I've used Bosch plugs and most of the above brands over the years in a variety of applications, other then longevity, I've never measured any difference in MPG or acceleration between any of them.

Roger...
IMO I think running iridiums would be a waste unless you plan on running a nitrous setup. Just get some NGK 4306's...you'll need 16 of them just incase you didn't know.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:49 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I also second the NGK plugs. I use them in everything I own. My jetskis, mower, chainsaw, etc. I haven't had to change any of the plugs in my cars, but I still plan on using NGK plugs there, too.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 AM
reiderr
Professional

NGKs are great plugs, but I just don't want to change them every 30k mi. Have you guys ever run them in this application for 60k mi or more ? I ask because the in many applications--not the Hemi--theyr'e considered a 100k mi plug--eg, the Toyota Highlander. I've seen some folks on various boards asking whether they should change their plugs with over 70k mi for a Hemi and over 170k mi for a Toyota. I can understand the Toyota with its Iridiums. The Hemi though! Makes you wonder if the 30k mi change interval is overkill on the Hemi. BTW, the Hemi owner with 70k mi didn't even have any performance problems. He was just asking cause he thought their time might be up. He probably could have gone farther.

Roger...

Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement?