3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are the heater cores defective in Dodges??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:41 PM
GSXR1181
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the heater cores defective in Dodges??

I've only owned this truck for two weeks and only have drove it for 580 miles. And the other night I was meet with a river of anit-freeze flowing from under my dash to the floor board. Not a good impression being my first Dodge[sm=smiley13.gif] This truck only has 62,000 miles on it. I could understand if this was something older with more miles on it, but it's only an 02. Just don't seem right. Is this a known problem or just my wonderful luck? Also how hard is it to change it out. Is it easily accessible, or do you have to remove the whole dash board. I seen one post on here that said something about discharging and recharging the AC. Please tell me that isn't so.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Are the heater cores defective in Dodges??

ORIGINAL: GSXR1181

I've only owned this truck for two weeks and only have drove it for 580 miles. And the other night I was meet with a river of anit-freeze flowing from under my dash to the floor board. Not a good impression being my first Dodge[sm=smiley13.gif] This truck only has 62,000 miles on it. I could understand if this was something older with more miles on it, but it's only an 02. Just don't seem right. Is this a known problem or just my wonderful luck? Also how hard is it to change it out. Is it easily accessible, or do you have to remove the whole dash board. I seen one post on here that said something about discharging and recharging the AC. Please tell me that isn't so.
I just got done changing my heater core and OMG that was a HUGE JOB. It was very involved and I still have 5 screws left over... not bad when you consider I had over 200 of them in a pile by the time I had it removed. I think I could do it again now that I have done it the first time but it is an ALL DAY job no question. If your not sure about it then pay the dealership to do it for you.

Mine is a 2002 with over 86,000 miles on it.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-23-2006, 07:51 PM
GSXR1181
Amateur

Well I have everything torn down, and yeah tons of screws. I have all the panels off, except the dash panel. It looks like its bolted to some of the air ducts?? How did you get past this part. I'm kind stuck right now, but after I get this off I can start removing brackets and braces.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: GSXR1181

Well I have everything torn down, and yeah tons of screws. I have all the panels off, except the dash panel. It looks like its bolted to some of the air ducts?? How did you get past this part. I'm kind stuck right now, but after I get this off I can start removing brackets and braces.
LOL... Honestly it took me 2 days to get to the core!

Im not exactly sure where your at right now.... Call me and I will see if I can help... I know the Chilton and Haynes where NO help what so ever...

817 800 7760

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-23-2006, 08:52 PM
GSXR1181
Amateur

Your right about the manual. Feels like it's missing 50 steps, lol. Plus it jumps around. I got your number, but I'm going to step away from it today. Been at it for 5 hours, so I need to walk away and regain my patients. I was wondering, do you need to remove the metal brace. It's the main support, the one that has a pipe as the main support with all the metal brackets spot welded to it, and attaches to the firewall. I unbolted all the screws I can see, but it won't move. I need to run to my apt and get my camera, and Ill get a pic if it can help you tell me what step I need to go to next. Anyway I much appreciate the help. More then you know.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:52 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

LOL... yes EVERYTHING in your dash is connected to that brace... 3 bolts on each side. But before you can move it you need to drop your steering wheel... and make sure you remove the thin brace that the steering wheel would sit on if you did not remove it...Mine is bent because I let the SW rest on it...

The streering wheel has 4 bolts holding it up.
Also there are like 4 screws holding the UPPER dash to front... you need to take off that PNL which can be tricky.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-24-2006, 12:26 AM
gordo24fan
Professional

Great. Hope it isn't something I can look forward to running into in a couple of years.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:22 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, is this typical with all of the 4.7LTR V-8? I have a 02 with approx. 66K miles, and believe me i know what kind of mess a heater core can cause. On my Isuzu, the Heater core went out at 95K miles, and that was a mess.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:53 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

Just out of curiosity, is this typical with all of the 4.7LTR V-8? I have a 02 with approx. 66K miles, and believe me i know what kind of mess a heater core can cause. On my Isuzu, the Heater core went out at 95K miles, and that was a mess.
There is NOTHING typical about our heater cores going out... to be honest with you Im the first one that I know of... This is NOT a common problem what so ever.. its just one of those things that can happen to anyone no matter what you drive... also enigne size has NOTHING to do with our heater cores... all 3rd Gen Rams share the same heater core all the way from the 3.7L, 4.7L 5.7L & 5.9L...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-30-2006, 03:27 AM
GSXR1181
Amateur

Well just put the last bolt back in. I didn't do to bad, only four screws left over[sm=coolness.gif] I NEVER WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN!! But worth it I guess. $70 vs $500 at a shop, not counting A/C recharge. Just hope nothing else breaks!!

Quick Reply: Are the heater cores defective in Dodges??