3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust and intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Baycraft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and intake

Hey all, I just picked up a 2004 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and I want to put a cat back exhaust on it and a cold air intake but am looking for some information on them. I heard the K&N intakes suck b/c of EGR valve rattling noise so cross that one off. BUt what are some other good options that I will pick up power with sacrificing the EGR which we're stuck with....

As for the cat-back exhaust what are the thoughts suggestions etc. I still want to be able to talk while riding down the freeway...lol

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 AM
VinnieTheFish
Default RE: Exhaust and intake

Baycraft,

The K&N only has problems if you have MDS and the metal air intake tube like the Series 77. There is a blow back sound that is a bit annoying, however the performance isn't bad and in fact the Series 63 is much better than the 77. I have the Series 77 & MDS however I installed the 3rdStrike EGR baffle which helps with the MDS noise. The guys at Hemitruckclub.com seem to like the aFe intakes and the ram air intakes also look pretty sweet as well. There's also a number of models on eBay for a decent price that seem to be pretty popular.

I guess it's best to figure out what type of performance that you're looking for and your application for the truck. That should determine which model you go with as you have to think of your situation (i.e. off road dust/dirt, street/drag racing performance, daily driver, tow vehicle, etc). Also the state you live in comes into play for emissions as some are not 50 state legal while others are.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:15 AM
rumble bee ram
Default RE: Exhaust and intake

hey dont blow all your money on a name , K&N the name will triple the cost. get a generic one on ebay. mine is a long tube cold air intake that places the exact air filter as K&N behing headlight. it is mandrel bent aluminum highly polished over a year old and still shiny. all metal is the same. all day long new on ebay mine was $75 plus shipping. also on ebay are high polished stainless steel headers from( user id , streetsportindustries) for buy it nows at $150. ive been finding amazing deals on ebay.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and intake