3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would like help with new rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 PM
RUNOVRYOU
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like help with new rims

My problem is that I found a rim/ tire package for sale somewhat locally and am very interested, and was about to buy.... then after a little bit of inspection came to find that I might not be able to run these rims on my truck. The bolt pattern is right, but I'm going to be going from a 17" factory rim to a 16" mickey thomsom classic II. On mickey thomson's website, they don't list my truck as being able to run this rim. I wonder if anybody can tell me that I'm wrong. (let me clarify - I hope somebody can tell me I'm wrong!) Truck's an 05 1500 4wd, and I've already mentioned the rim sizes. Will the rims not clear the brake setup??

Any help/ comments/ advice is appreciated, thanks guys/ gals!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
derwood
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Would like help with new rims

From what I have been told, 16's will not clear the calipers. Can anyone else verify this?
Ask Tire Rack if you want to be certain.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 PM
79LRT
Professional

I have also been told that 16' won't clear the brakes.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: RUNOVRYOU

My problem is that I found a rim/ tire package for sale somewhat locally and am very interested, and was about to buy.... then after a little bit of inspection came to find that I might not be able to run these rims on my truck. The bolt pattern is right, but I'm going to be going from a 17" factory rim to a 16" mickey thomsom classic II. On mickey thomson's website, they don't list my truck as being able to run this rim. I wonder if anybody can tell me that I'm wrong. (let me clarify - I hope somebody can tell me I'm wrong!) Truck's an 05 1500 4wd, and I've already mentioned the rim sizes. Will the rims not clear the brake setup??

Any help/ comments/ advice is appreciated, thanks guys/ gals!
The 3rd gen Dodge Ram can only support 17" wheels and up. 16" rims will not clear the caliper. I'm sorry that they wont work for you.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 PM
nathanp
Captain

yep what everyone else said, a 17" rim is as small as u can go, it has maybe 1/2 an inch off clearence to the brakes so definetly the smallest u can go

Quick Reply: Would like help with new rims