3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

breaking tires free 4.7 qc

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006 | 05:21 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Default RE: breaking tires free 4.7 qc

Man I wish I had your problems... Right now In my 2002 4.7L Quad Cab I'm running 9.72's in the 1/8 mile & 15.2 in the 1/4 with a 2.33 60ft time... because I cant get traction off the line... I spin for the first 10-15 feet. My best 60ft time ever was a 1.99 but I was not making the power I am today. If I could hit another 1.99 or better 60ft time I would be WELL into the low 9.2x's and I would also be running close to a 14.8x's in the 1/4 mile... thats in an all naturally aspirated 4.7L.

When a HEMI owner tells me I should have bought a HEMI I just tell them to line it up!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-10-2006 | 06:22 PM
motorider228
Champion

air ram, think about how much faster your truck would be if you had all that stuff in a hemi though? your truck would rip!

Old 12-10-2006 | 07:36 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: motorider228

air ram, think about how much faster your truck would be if you had all that stuff in a hemi though? your truck would rip!
Well if you think about it, that would cost me another 25,000+ dollars just so I can say I have a HEMI... To me the HEMI is not worth that price tag! Now if I put all the money that I saved by NOT trading in for a 5.7L into my 4.7L it would be fast enough to make anyone say DAM thats fast. Everyone already thinks my truck has a HEMI...

Some of you guys forget, that the HEMI was NOT around and it was NOT an option for many of us... My 2002 4.7L is PAID IN FULL... It would be foolish to trade it in for a 5.7L when it runs faster than most 5.7L rams... There would be no reason to trade and pay 450+ bucks a month just so I can say "I have a HEMI"... I would rather keep my 4.7L and mod it... to me it would cost less, last longer, and make a reasonable amount of HP to put a smile on my face.

Now I do agree, if someone was just starting off... I would tell them to go with the HEMI that comes with a DYNO proven 70RWHP more than the 4.7L... But for someone who already has a 4.7l... its cheaper to mod then to trade.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-10-2006 | 08:22 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: AIR RAM

Some of you guys forget, that the HEMI was NOT around and it was NOT an option for many of us... My 2002 4.7L is PAID IN FULL... It would be foolish to trade it in for a 5.7L when it runs faster than most 5.7L rams... There would be no reason to trade and pay 450+ bucks a month just so I can say "I have a HEMI"... I would rather keep my 4.7L and mod it... to me it would cost less, last longer, and make a reasonable amount of HP to put a smile on my face.

Now I do agree, if someone was just starting off... I would tell them to go with the HEMI that comes with a DYNO proven 70RWHP more than the 4.7L... But for someone who already has a 4.7l... its cheaper to mod then to trade.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I must say I'm impressed by that statement there brother!

If I could give you rep points, like on a few other sites, I'd stack ya up right now!

Old 12-10-2006 | 08:34 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

air ram, i use to have a 4.7 QC ram too and as much money as i put into it, i'm kickin myself now for doing it when i should have saved my money and kept my 96 ram untill i bought this ram i have now. The hemi is far superior to the 4.7 in every aspect...and even in 02 when these body style rams came out, still should have bought the 5.9 instead of the 4.7...now mabye you dont care, but for me, i'd much rather prefer to have the traditional cam in block engine as compared to the overhead cam such as the 4.7. sure you can mod the 4.7 and make some decent power out of it, but the 5.7 hemi will be around much longer and will have many more options performance wise as the yrs go by...but to each thier own

Old 12-10-2006 | 08:36 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

shoulda got a hemi

Heck, it wouldn't matter if he was running a top fuel motor if it has an open diff.

Open diff = one wheel peel
i know what an open diff is, havent spent the last 6 yrs of my life workin at the dealer and goin to school for nothing...just tryin to give the guy some **** for buyin a 4.7 instead of a hemi

Old 12-10-2006 | 08:48 PM
motorider228
Champion

good point air ram, I din't know your truck was paid off but the car payment on my 06 is nowhere near $450 a month and I am on a 48 month payment system. I just put a good chunk of change down.

Old 12-10-2006 | 11:08 PM
cumminalong

i know what an open diff is, havent spent the last 6 yrs of my life workin at the dealer and goin to school for nothing...just tryin to give the guy some **** for buyin a 4.7 instead of a hemi
Didn't mean to offend partner; I was laughing with you.

Some folks don't know what the difference between various parts are.

Old 12-10-2006 | 11:23 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

air ram, i use to have a 4.7 QC ram too and as much money as i put into it, i'm kickin myself now for doing it when i should have saved my money and kept my 96 ram until i bought this ram i have now. The hemi is far superior to the 4.7 in every aspect...and even in 02 when these body style rams came out, still should have bought the 5.9 instead of the 4.7...now mabye you dont care, but for me, i'd much rather prefer to have the traditional cam in block engine as compared to the overhead cam such as the 4.7. sure you can mod the 4.7 and make some decent power out of it, but the 5.7 hemi will be around much longer and will have many more options performance wise as the yrs go by...but to each their own
Well at the time I purchased my 4.7L I did test drive the 5.9L & 4.7L and honestly the 4.7L felt better... ALLOT better. Add to the fact that at that time the 4.7L was supposed to be Chrysler's NEW V8 of the future It was a no brain'er. With the 5.9L on its way out the door and the NEW age engine of the future coming in... I chose the 4.7L through current information at that time. The over head cam is a superior design to the push rod engines... make no mistake about it! If they made the 4.7L with a the CI of a 5.7L it would make ALLOT more HP than the current HEMI engine... But since the overhead cam engine cost nearly twice as much to make you can see why they chose to stick with the pushrod design... The HEMI HYPE was not around until 4-5 months after I purchased my 4.7L... and it was not until AFTER the introduction of the 5.7L that Chrysler turned their back on the 4.7L... So at that time... the 4.7L was a MUCH better choice and there was a PLANNED future in Chrysler's crystal ball! But it turend out that the HEMI is cheap to build (MEXICO VALVE SPRINGS) and it was a business move to make the cheaper 5.7L be the engine to lead them into the future.

As for the 5.7L being SUPERIOR... If thats the case then at this time my 4.7L holds that same status since I can WALK AWAY from most Quad Cab 5.7L Rams... Thank you for the complement.

Now with that said... I did NOT purchase my 4.7L to race... I just started to add mods here and their and before you knew it It was a strong running truck. But It does make enough HP to run 15.2 in the 1/4 and 9.72 in the 1/8 mile with a 2.33 60ft time... Not too bad for a 287ci in a Quad Cab 5,000+LB truck no matter how you cut it! Ohh yeah those times are with an Air Fuel ratio of 10:1 and below! Im sure times will only improve if I can get the AF ratio up to a 13:1 ratio!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-11-2006 | 12:28 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

see, it's all a matter of personal preference. personally, if i had to chose again between a 4.7 and a 5.9, i'd take the 5.9 over the 4.7 any day of the week. i'm not a fan of the 4.7, even after owning one, they just dont impress me what-so-ever. but to each their own and if the 4.7 is what you like, then have fun with it, i'm just saying that in my personal opinion and in the opinions of other people i have talked to and the other techs i work with at the dealership, the 4.7 just isnt that great.

now as far as you being able to walk away from most quad cab rams with the hemi, well i would hope so considering the mods you have. take a hemi and put those same mods on it and then see how it fairs.

but i aint gonna sit here and argue with ya about whats the best, if you like the 4.7 then have fun with it man

Quick Reply: breaking tires free 4.7 qc