3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'03' Ram 1500 Check engine light @higher elevations

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Derekjae
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03' Ram 1500 Check engine light @higher elevations

When I am traveling and reach an elevation of 5000 ft and above my check engine light comes on. when I get back below the 5000 ft level and turn the truck of for about 30 min to an hour the light goes out.I took it to the dealer and they were unable to get the code becuse they said when the light goes out the code is ereased. So I do not know how I am going to be able to get my truck to the dealer while the check engine light is on. Does anyone know what could be causeing this and what I can replace myself that might fix this?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: '03' Ram 1500 Check engine light @higher elevations

When you travel up or down elevation, your map sensor sees greatly different barometric pressures.

When you first start your truck, your pcm looks at the baro pressure before it starts and sets its parameters accordingly. When you went up 5000ft, the pressure was way different. If you would have shut off the truck and restarted, the pcm would have figured it out and ran ok.

Welcome to the **** dodge pcm.

Quick Reply: '03' Ram 1500 Check engine light @higher elevations