3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Dodge Ram Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:48 AM
guitarjrw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Dodge Ram Exhaust Question

its the same as stock for my year which i think is 2.5" but i could be wrong. I have an 05 so noMDS so I can't comment on the sound it makes when it kicks in.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:16 PM
CMG Hemi

Whatis it supposed sound like when the MDS kicks in with loud pipes? Like a 4 cylinder with loud exhaust? or ?

Old 01-13-2007, 08:24 PM
M15
Veteran

It just has a deeper pitch sound when the MDS kicks in. Nothing like a typical 4cyl car or truck with loud exhaust.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:26 PM
motorider228
Champion

I have an 06 and I was afraid of the MDS sound as well. I have heard many accounts of people being upset with their flowmasters and personally I do not like the performance of a flowmaster. I have also heard the flowmaster sounds like a helicopter when the mds kicks in. I have an aero turbine AT3030 muffler on my 06 and that's it. I had the second resonator (the one closest to the end) removed and retained the rest of the stock exhaust. The mds is not a bad sound at all when it kicks in and the muffler is not too loud. No real in cab resonance either. Check into the aero turbine at3030 because they are amazing mufflers and sound great. They don't restrict the air as much as the flowmaster either. I think the aero turbine or a magnaflow would be your best bet.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:55 PM
jermag24
Rookie

ORIGINAL: motorider228

I have an 06 and I was afraid of the MDS sound as well. I have heard many accounts of people being upset with their flowmasters and personally I do not like the performance of a flowmaster. I have also heard the flowmaster sounds like a helicopter when the mds kicks in. I have an aero turbine AT3030 muffler on my 06 and that's it. I had the second resonator (the one closest to the end) removed and retained the rest of the stock exhaust. The mds is not a bad sound at all when it kicks in and the muffler is not too loud. No real in cab resonance either. Check into the aero turbine at3030 because they are amazing mufflers and sound great. They don't restrict the air as much as the flowmaster either. I think the aero turbine or a magnaflow would be your best bet.
Do you have a link to where we could get a sound clip of an aero turbine muffler?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:10 PM
KurnlReb

Sound clip:
http://www.aeroexhaust.com/seehear.html

Old 02-11-2007, 01:12 PM
sgthostile

I have the AT3030 on my truck, although I don't have MDS, and I absolutely love it! I wouldn't switch to anything else. There is no drone in the cab even at highway speeds, but when you get on it, you'll ................ well, you get the picture. The AT is a little pricey, but I think it's well worth it. I also left the stock resonator on. Good luck

Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

i put on the AT3030 but i dumped mine underneath the back seat so you wanna talk about loud drone in the cab i need to get a sound clip for you but over all the muffler is very very nice

Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 PM
kpj5br
Rookie

Just for what it's worth, I have no exhaust mods, but I do have the K&N CAI, which by itself really gives a good throaty sound to the hemi. But that's just a side note, I really want to comment on MDS sounds.

I have an '06, which does have MDS. It's kind of weird. I never heard anything before the CAI, but after I can definitely hear when the MDS kicks in. It does sound different. Bad? I would not classify it as bad. I also would not classify it as good. It's just weird. I know you can turn off MDS, and I'm contemplating doing that, just because every time I hear it kick in, it makes my mind focus on the sound, and that's the part I don't like.

Passengers in my truck don't seem to notice (at least no one has ever commented on it, even my wife which is strange - she comments on everything). But I do. Who knows, maybe I'll just get used to it and not do anything, but right now I'm just not a big fan of the 'sound change' with MDS, and honestly with the mods I've done and the way I drive it, fuel economy is the last thing on my mind.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
OklahomaDodgeRam

I have a flomaster 40 series muffler and stock exhaust. You can hear it, but it doesn't effect your in cab conversation. Mine is a bit louder than yours will be strictly because I also have a K&N FIPK cold air intake, which I would recommend getting because it makes it sound extremely AWESOME! But to answer your main question. If you don't mind spending the money for a full system, do that. But if you want to spend $150 and just get the sound of a full system, go with the 40 series. If you have any questions or you want to hear it, let me know. I can send you a recording of the sound or we can do it over the phone. Hope that helped. Let me know.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Ram Exhaust Question