3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Res,Rear Res, or No Res????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Thundercloud
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Res,Rear Res, or No Res????

I have a new 2007 Ram 1500 HEMI w/MDS and am interested in doing something with the exhaust. I was wondering what you guys have been finding out about interior drone.

I was thinking about using a Flowmaster 50 series SI/DO to dual tail pipes out the rear. Needless to say the rear resonator would be gone at that point, but I was wondering if I should leave the front resonator in place to cut down on drone. What have your experiances been?? have any of you done this style install and if so how was the sound in the cab??

I want it to sound like a HEMI should but I need to be able to talk to passengers or on the cell without a drone driving me nuts. I had an 2003 Ram with HEMI with the FM 50 on it and it sounded great!! I also had a 2006 Charger R/T that I put FM 40's on without resonators and it was ridiculous so I boutght the FM catback system with the FM reso's and that worked well.

I am leaning on doing the FM 50 and keeping the front res and was hoping for some input from you guys to confirm that this would give me the sound I want without the drone.

Any feed back would be appreciated!!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 01:52 PM
darkrt
Professional
Default RE: Front Res,Rear Res, or No Res????

I have a 50 series. Kept the front reso and removed the rear. Single pipe out. Nice sound on the gas,no drone. You can hear when the MDS kicks in,but its not intrusive.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
djr04
All Star

From what I've heard, keeping the front resonator is the best way to go. Borla's full catback system even includes a front resonator to combat drone, so I would suggest keeping the front resonator on with your flowmaster.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Thundercloud

Bump

Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Uncle Hemi

I've got a flowmaster 40 series 1 in 2 out with the front resonator still there. It's nice and deep, but not obnoxious. I dumped the pipes about 12 inches back from the flowmaster just before the rear axle.

Uncle Hemi.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
DelawareDon
Professional

My advice....read all the threads you can on installing a louder exhaust on Hemi's with MDS. Many, many who have tried using flowmasters or other mufflers/systems with those engines have wasted a ton of money and have had their exhaust system returned to stock. The reason....when the MDS kicks in, the exhaust note sounds like "crap." Just trying to get you to consider what appears to be a real problem before you spend tons of money and wind up being very disappointed. Of course, if you want to continuously drive around in "tow mode," which over-rides the MDS....no problem!

Quick Reply: Front Res,Rear Res, or No Res????