3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4wd question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
HemiJohn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd question?

If the roads are only partly covered with snow etc, with bare pavement mixed in, will running in 4wd have issues with this? Back when I bought my first 4wd I was told using it on dry pavement at all could cause harm to the 4wd system. Is this still the case?

Sometimes it's hard to know if it will be slippery in some spots or not. It would be nice to be able to put it in 4wd and not worry about it.

Thanks
John

Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4wd question?

You shouldn't have any problems, unless your driving on bone dry pavement, and making lots of turns. For instance, if your pulling into a parking lot (like a grocery store) and might have to make many turns, I would switch back into 2WD, but for most cases on a partly snow covered road you should be ok. One of the hardest things you can do to the 4x4 unit is make lots of dry pavement turns in 4WD. At the proving grounds we do lots of "figure 8's" in 4LO on dry pavement @ 10mph. I've never seen any major problems. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 4wd question?