3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram is missing - Check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Palm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram is missing - Check engine light on

Okay, one more time. I did a search and found the prodedure for reading the codes and I cannot get my 04 Ram, Hemi to spit the code out. I did the key switch ON - OFF..... ON - OFF.... ON- Leave ON and it does not read any codes out on the odometer.

Is there a trick to how fast, or slow, that this must be done in order to get it to work?

The truck was running fine when parked, then 10 minutes later when it was cranked up, it was missing and the engine light came on. It seems to miss at all speeds but is more noticeable at idle and low speeds where it lopes a little.

I may have to take it and have the codes read, but wanted to check with everyone first. As a note, the truck has 33,500 miles on it, so since it was time for a spark plug change, I havejust didthat and it made no noticeable difference. I also metered out the wires and coils while doing this and did not see anything amiss. I did notice thatboth plugs on the front cylinder,right hand side of the engine were fouled badly and none of the others were. A check revealed that both plugsseem to be firingnormally.

Does anyonehave any suggestions on this?

Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Default RE: Ram is missing - Check engine light on

do it as fast as you can 3 times it should work if there are no codes it will have lines going across it like this -------- then it says done.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

HAHA

I didn't understand the original post. It was like "Ram missing - Check engine light on"

And I was all like;

If his RAM is missing... How does he know the CEL is on? And where did his truck all of a sudden disappear to???

HEHE

Then I re-read it, and understood he meant Misfiring.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
mirricleboy
Rookie

check you gas cap, seal may have gone, i had this problem on around the same mileage.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
djr04
All Star

a lot of autoparts stores such as autozone will check the code for you for free, might be worth a shot. If it is listed as an evap emissions leak or something fuel system related, then my first recommendation would be to check the gas cap.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
mazz
Veteran

The key trick does not work on some '04s. It does not work on mine.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Palm
Professional

mazz wrote:

The key trick does not work on some '04s. It does not work on mine.
Thanks for the info, I had wondered if that was not the case. I'll take it up to Advanced Auto and get them to read the code.

Quick Reply: Ram is missing - Check engine light on