3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS? How do you know when it kicks on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 AM
kulwen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDS? How do you know when it kicks on.

Is there anyway for me to tell when my MDS engages?

Thank you,
John T.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:26 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MDS? How do you know when it kicks on.

MDS wont kick in untill you reach a certian criteria. If i remember right, it wont kick in unless your going faster then 45, have less then 20% engine load, and a few other things. but dont quote me on any of this, been quite awhile since i looked in my advanced engine controls book

Old 01-17-2007, 02:28 AM
wbgilland

You aren't suppose to be able to tell. That said I can feel it when it kicks in in my 06QC. I can't tell at hwy speed but when I am running under about 40 mph it feels as if something is....not quiet right.Maybe that is because I have worked on so many older cars during my misspent youth. You could just feel it when it wasn't firing on all eight cylinders. Abone the mentioned 40 mph, I can't tell when it is engaged.
Bill in Sunny Savannah

Old 01-17-2007, 02:41 AM
wbgilland

The under 45 mph isn't right ( idon't think). The less than 20% sounds right. To test if mds was on, when I felt it at low speeds, I would add just a bit more throttle and what I am feeling in the seat of the pants dissapears. Plaese, no smart *** comments about the seat of the pants feeling.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Uncle Hemi

I wasn't able to tell when the MDS kicked in until I got an aftermarket exhaust. Now I can both hear it and feel it. Mine will even kick in when I'm just putten around - say 5 or 10mph and I have also heard it kick in at 85mph. I find that it will kick in when there is very little demand on the motor. With the stock exhaust, I don't think you would every really be sure that it is on.

Uncle Hemi.

Quick Reply: MDS? How do you know when it kicks on.