3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau Cover vs. Shell

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau Cover vs. Shell

One of the inspirations for my buying this vehicle was to tow my Jeep out to the rocks, play in the rocks, and camp. I was doing this with my Chev Tahoe and it worked out fine. The Chev didn't tow very well (OK), but camping was sweet. I'd just put the seats down and put a big queen size air mattress in the back with a couple of sleeping bags and voilĂ* (had to look up the spellin' on that) awesome comfort in a couple of minutes. [/align][/align]I'm looking to replicate that with this truck as closely as I can. Originally, I was just going to buy a shell, put a BedRug in it and done... I put the BegRug in last night, but now I'm wondering if there is another solution besides a shell. To be honest, I don't like the look. It says 'old guys truck' to me.[/align][/align]I searched and found this tonneau cover with a tent built into it. I guess that would work, but I don't really like that either. Does anyone have another solution or am I pretty much stuck with a shell (or a tonneau and a tent)?[/align][/align]

Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM
jeffjs
Professional
Default RE: Tonneau Cover vs. Shell

How about something like this: http://www.softopper.com/

Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie

ORIGINAL: jeffjs

How about something like this: http://www.softopper.com/
[/align][/align]Thanks for the reply. I saw a similar product made by Bestop, but they didn't list Dodge asa compatible truck. This is not a bad solution since it appears that you can completely remove the thing when you don't need it. It's not pretty, but it's for camping and such (in my case) so that's not a problem. The price tag is the only thing really holding me back. Does that sound a little steep to you or am I being El Cheapo again?[/align][/align]Anyone have something else? The more ideas the better,[/align]

Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
jeffjs
Professional

$599 sounds steep. However, a normal cover could run you anywhere from $200 to $400 depending upon what you like. This is just a little big more, but a lot for useful. I haven't searched to see if this is available through distribution for a lower price. Might be worth a search.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 PM
damquick1
Veteran

I've got a friend back in Florida who has one and he loves it, I've seen it and I have to admit its Kewl! I had thought about a shell until I saw this...he Thompsons' water sealed the hell out of it and it's 3 yrs old and still looks new. He says he re-seals it every year. I think I may get one.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover vs. Shell