3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torn CV boot, due to leveling kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:35 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torn CV boot, due to leveling kit?

So yesterday I got curious for some unknown reason, and decided to look under the front of the truck. As it turns out, I have torn the outer boot, on the drivers side CV shaft. Has anyone ever torn a boot under 36,000 miles? My truck only has 31,500 miles on it, but I doubt the dealer will replace it under warranty due to the fact that it sits higher with the leveling kit on it. I called the dealer yesterday to see how much the parts would be, and it turns out that Mopar sells a boot kit for about $30, or the whole axle for $150. I've never done a boot kit, is it hard? Has anyone ever done one?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
rotested
Default RE: torn CV boot, due to leveling kit?

Yup! That's what happens with leveling kits, particularly on trucks without manual hubs! 3" is alot for this type of lift, my want to drop the torsion bars down some orgo with a suspension lift that will drop the diff accordingly to alleviate the CV shaft angles. Or, just be prepared to change out boots more often! I would just replace the boot, the shaft and CV's should be fine. I had a lifted IFS Toyota years ago and there were high angle boots available for it! I also rememebr something about a universal high angle CV boot kit??? Do some research, you might find some for the Dodge, some universals or some for another application that may work on the Dodge??? I have also read on here or Dodge Talk about a guy who got rid of the CV shafts and replaced them U-joint style shafts hence no boots, he got them from a driveline shop? I'm sure if you find anything everyone would love a heads up!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 02:52 PM
DelawareDon
Professional

I agree with rotested. I've never installed a leveling kit on a Ram, but have done so on a couple of Titans and a Tundra that I owned. With the Titans, you were safe up to a 2" lift. On the Tundra, even with a two-inch lift you were advised to install a differential drop kit. In both instances, if you exceeded safe limits or failed to install a drop kit, the result was torn boots.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie

What other problems are common?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Update!!!

I know why it tore now. I was not completely the leveling kit's fault. When the truck was in the shop having the rear axle rebuilt, I was playing around up front looking for anything that might be wrong. During the time I (A) spun the tires while it was in the air. This was not a good idea, because I learned that the CV boots touch the lower control arms when the front is fully drooped. (B) I remember pushing the accordian style boot in (and it never popped out). So I'm guessing between the boot rubbing on the cast control arm, and the boot being pushed in a unnormal, is what caused it.I'll replace it and and seee how long it takes before they fail again.

Quick Reply: torn CV boot, due to leveling kit?