3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I buy a '03 HEMI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 AM
kais24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a '03 HEMI?

Hey everybody.... I thought this would be a good place to get some general info about atruck I'm thinking about buying. I'm looking at a '03 1500 quad cab long box with 70,000 on it (Asking price is $15,500.) I currently have a '97 Ford F-150 with a 4.6L V8. I will almost always be towing something behind it (17ft boat or an ice fishing house) and will probably only be putting 3,000-5,000 miles on it per year.(I have a commuter car to take to work.)Can you guys tell me what I'll love about it and also what I may not like so much about it? What are some of the problems this engine has seen. What are some of the problems I should keep an eye out for if I get it? How is the long box vs. short box (other than the obvious 2ft length?) I'm not very handy with vehicles so it would be nice to get a truck that doesn't go into the shop a lot...

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:26 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I buy a '03 HEMI?

well, i'd say go for it. my ram hasnt been in the shop at all cept for the sched. maintence and i love my hemi. it has plenty of power and tows everything i've hooked up to it (17ft boat to a 2 car trailer with a truck on it)...you'll love the power it has over your ford, and i guess i'm not sure about fuel mileage, never owned a ford or a gm for that matter. i'd say go for it, but that just my $.02 worth

Old 01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my 03, plenty of power, but you will take it in the mileage dept. It has also been very reliable. In the 26000 miles I've put on it (now at 54000) no hiccups, no DTC's. Looks like the asking price is damn near dead-on with the Kelly Blue Book value. You'll love the power, the comfort and towing ability. You'll hate the mileage, buying tires if it has the 20" wheels and trying to park it lol. I have a short box so I couldn't comment there. As long as nothing like the wiring has been hacked, and it's had regular oil changes, you should be good. See if you can find out when the spark plugs were changed if at all. Original hemi plugs don't last all that long, replacements are definitely a good idea. Watch out for the brakes, there was a recall on them. Thats's about all I can think of. Buy a Superchips programmer once you get it. Definitely one thing you won't regret. I added a rear sway bar to mine, the RC trucks get it, but the QC's don't. Makes a world of difference in handling.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:27 AM
FrostKing
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the build date was April or later, then I would say go for it. That's when a lot of the bugs were remedied such as revised calipers, programming issues, mirror and door seal issues, revised valve springs, etc.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:31 AM
kais24

I figured I'd take a hit on the gas mileage...

What's a superchips programmer?

Thanks guys... If everything checks out I'll probably get it...

Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to www.superchips.com The programmer allows you to tweak the computer a little. RPM, timing, etc., will lift the 105 mph speed limiter on these trucks (mine will go 115 uphill), and can correct your speedo for different height tires. Also acts as a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) reader/resetter. Wakes up the truck, especially if you have some other mods to it. From what I've heard, if you put the 6.1 cam in, the superchips will handle it without any electronic puking (programmer good for about 10-15 hp, cam at least 25 hp).

Old 01-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Max00racer
Veteran

I got my 03' hemi ram with 4x4 QC. So far I got a cheap intake, dynomax exhaust (plus an electric cut out), and a superchip. I'm almost sure i got something close to a under 6 second 0-60 run the other day. I can punch it in drive and redline it off the line haha I love my ram. Besides the gas mileage (8-10 round town avg) ive put about 8,000 miles on it since i got it back last may with 36,000 miles on it and it runs strong, besides the power steering pump which seems to be a frequent issue with these trucks. Just check out the carfax report on it and have a mechanic inspect it. Better to know your getting a good vehicle than something thats been beat to death.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 AM
kais24

Good advice...thanks. I was planning on having my mechanic take a look at it first! Sounds like you guys know your stufff...I guess I came to the right place. Thanks again. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY TRUCK!(if it works out.)

Quick Reply: Should I buy a '03 HEMI?